Looking to start up on my own?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I finished school in 2007 and started work 3 days later with a local joiner but was always interested in being a plumber since i was a kid as a close family friend was a plumber, i started my plumbing apprentership and finished 3 years ago, gaining my NVQ 3 and unvented certs. I worked with this guy for 6 years gaining great experience in plumbing, joinery,tiling,electrics etc aswell as doing foreigners most weekends.
But this guy refused to pay me the proper wage and was still working for minimum wage 6 years down the line fully qualifed doing 90% of the work while he would drop me off on site and go playing golf ! I`d do full bathroom rip outs, back to brick dry line, install suite, tile and grout with not so much as a good job from him, enough was enough and i chucked it in and got a job straight away in securtity which i am bored out of my head ! i still do as much as i can on weekends but i wouldnt say enough to keep me going full time at the moment.. does anybody have any advice on started up at a young age ( im 21) ive got all the tools i need id just need a van. Not sure weather to take the gamble or just stick it out and see if another job comes up in plumbing. Any advice greatly appriciated.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Work for yourself.
But find a part time job if you can at first.
Times are difficult at the moment.
I've jacked gas fitting in just due to lack of support from
the local community.

yeah i suppose i could keep with security part time, i just need a van, insurance and p/l insurance. But as you say times arnt good so im just worried about leaving full time epmployment then ending up with no work atall !

yeah i suppose i could keep with security part time, i just need a van, insurance and p/l insurance. But as you say times arnt good so im just worried about leaving full time epmployment then ending up with no work atall !

It IS really difficult at the momment.

My advice would be to do a proper cash flow forecast, and think of EVERYTHING. What will happen when the van breaks down, where will the cash come from? etc.

Don't work for peanuts. You are better off working half the time for the same money. But don't be daft, don't try to pull the wool over punters eyes - contrary to what folk think, they are not all stupid!

You hav been doing private work, so you should have a feel about how quick you can get jobs done. Accept that some time you will royally screw up - take it on the chin and don't try to pass all the cost onto the customer. You may get away with it but you won't see them again,or their recommendations.

Think about how you will advertise, or therwise attract clients.

And finally - GET AN ACCOUNTANT. Most of them are not good, but you need to have systems in place early on, it is very difficult to play catch up.

Good Luck (as long as you aren't on my doorstep ;) )

Sponsored Links

I tried it for about 2.5 years. Just couldn't make a living from
it. Better off stacking shelves in tesco. Regular advertising etc.
Nothing. Too many people doing it and people signing up for
this maintenance contracts rubbish. They would rather spend £10 or £20 to british gas every month than call a local guy out.

There's loads of work out there for people like you. Keep your overheads low - live at home if you can and advertise in the local press. Undercut everybody.

Make sure that you are presentable, well spoken and no tatoos, get good at small talk and people will get good vibes about you.

Next year at this time you'll be flat out.

People are looking for bargains - it's the outfits with vans and shops that are suffering. Aim for £120 a day plus materials and you'll undercut them by 50%.

Also, they are VAT registered and you aren't.

What are you waiting for? Just do it.

Why not go for another full-time job in plumbing as employee?

With six years experience and own tools (more important IMO than college certs) you should be highly employable.

Where do want to be in 5, 10, 20 years time? A job where you can work towards gas qualification would open more doors. Or plumbing related such as working in a merchants?

Working for someone else would give you feedback (are you as good as you think you are).

Unless you have a good business and admin brain you may be a bit young yet for self-employment, especially in the current climate.

Working for yourself is great but does have its dowfalls , if you do not have the experience to diagnose a fault first time do you really expect the customer to pay for the said part when you go and uplift it and install it and it does not fix the problem ? on the same line you wont do that twice so you learn how to diagnose first time, if I was you I would learn in someone elses time to be honest

Aim for £120 a day plus materials and you'll undercut them by 50%.
Here we go again. Aim or £120 per day, and you will acheive, if you are luccky, £90.

Aldi pay about £75 per day, and you don't have to worry about anything except gt to work. No van, accuntancy, tools bla de bla.

Bear in mind that speccy 4 eyes claims to be a develepor, he LOVES cheap people

Working for yourself is great but does have its dowfalls , if you do not have the experience to diagnose a fault first time do you really expect the customer to pay for the said part when you go and uplift it and install it and it does not fix the problem ? on the same line you wont do that twice so you learn how to diagnose first time, if I was you I would learn in someone elses time to be honest

Where does he say he's GS? :confused:

Aim for £120 a day plus materials and you'll undercut them by 50%.
Here we go again. Aim or £120 per day, and you will acheive, if you are luccky, £90.

Aldi pay about £75 per day, and you don't have to worry about anything except gt to work. No van, accuntancy, tools bla de bla.

Bear in mind that speccy 4 eyes claims to be a develepor, he LOVES cheap people

If he's in security he'll be on minimum wage. £120 a day plus materials is over £500 a week. Yeah it's peanuts compared to the mighty gas fitters but most can live on it.

Where does he say he's GS? :confused:

welcome back Joe

As far as I know the OP is not working on Gas appliances he is just asking a question about becoming self employed, in any industry my advice would be the same as I have already given

If he's in security he'll be on minimum wage. £120 a day plus materials is over £500 a week. Yeah it's peanuts compared to the mighty gas fitters but most can live on it.[/quote]

Err. No it's not, as well you know. You are just being a dick as usual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back