NVQ level 2??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am from East Grinstead (Sussex area) and I'm looking to work with a plumber so that I can gain experience to help me with my NVQ level 2 plumbing course. I am in my final year and although I'm nearly finished with the college side of things I need someone that can help me get through my workplace portfolio. I am available week days and weekends when I'm not labouring for someone else although any plumbing work would take priority. I wouldn’t be looking for much if any money (maybe just lunch).

If anyone would be interested please post back here or email me direct at [email protected]

Thanks,

Sam

Sponsored Links
Hi Dick, welcome to you latest new name!

The OP has obviously been on a college course as he says its the "final" year.

However, this does indicate that he has not been complying with the terms of the NVQ2 course that he should be already working in the industry so that the college work complements the practical work he is doing.

Very unfortunately most college students are doing the same thing and consequently not receiving the practical experience which is expected to be part of the course.

I thought that colleges were not meant to take on students unless they were already employed in the industry? Perhaps a tutor would like to comment on this point?

Tony

I'm amazed there's still some CC/CCCs around!!!

Sam son, nobody is starting course cowboys any time soon, there's 1000s of timeserved site Plumbers looking for work mate.

Course cowboys? I'm trying to become fully qualified plumber so then I would be a trained and competent person. With the ability to get the job done at a top standard. I think the definition of a cowboy differs from this.
In my local area there are loads of jobs advertised for qualified plumbers but I am neither fully qualified nor do I have the relevant experience to apply for any of the jobs.

Thanks for the post though your insight has been useful... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
What Dick means is that while doing the course you should have been on an apprenticeship!

As I said my understanding is that no one should be on that course if not already working in the industry.

You are clearly bypassing proper training and all you want is to complete the portfolio with the relevant experience which would have made you the time served plumber which Dick considers is the only proper way into the industry.

Tony

In my college the groups are split. Those with employment and those without. I am told by my tutors that although I haven't had a chance to do the portfolio for the workplace as yet, I can still do it after the course has finished as long as I can find a placement within the industry to do it. Which is proving difficult.

I wanted to sign up for the level 3 course but I would rather have a full level 2 before continuing.

If anyone has any helpful tips on how I can achieve this please let me know.

What Dick means is that while doing the course you should have been on an apprenticeship!

As I said my understanding is that no one should be on that course if not already working in the industry.

You are clearly bypassing proper training and all you want is to complete the portfolio with the relevant experience which would have made you the time served plumber which Dick considers is the only proper way into the industry.

Tony

I would have loved to have been on an apprenticeship but it was near impossible to find a company that would take me on. British Gas one of the first companys I contacted said they would take me on but because I was 20 then (one year over there limit) I would have to pay £16K up front. Other smaller companys I contacted weren't interested at all at the thought of having an apprentice on board. i've been hitting walls for months and I'm starting to think all the time and effort i've put in might end up being a waste...

Without having done an apprenticeship you have made yourself unemployable by the experienced old style employers like Dick above.

They know from their experience in the industry that an apprenticeship gives a very well qualified person who has had the proper experience and if they have the right attitude they are like gold dust and will always be the first to be picked when a job comes up.

I have to say that an inexperienced person with a technical Certificate NVQ2 is nearly as bad as anyone else taken off the street.

As a matter of interest which "A" levels do you have?

Tony

Without having done an apprenticeship you have made yourself unemployable by the experienced old style employers like Dick above.

They know from their experience in the industry that an apprenticeship gives a very well qualified person who has had the proper experience and if they have the right attitude they are like gold dust and will always be the first to be picked when a job comes up.

I have to say that an inexperienced person with a technical Certificate NVQ2 is nearly as bad as anyone else taken off the street.

As a matter of interest which "A" levels do you have?

Tony

I know this it’s been told to me time and again. However if I could find an old style employer willing to try me. I am sure that with the knowledge I have already acquired in the last two years, combined with knowledge I could gain from such an employer after a time I would have the skills I would need to be a competent plumber.

Unfortunately because of family issues at that time I never finished my "A" levels but I got half way in Oxted School. I was studying, Biology, Chemistry, Math and Physics.

unfortunately you are one of many many people matey

and Agile is right you need other qualifications now to stand out from the crowd

its a tough old gut out here at the moment and i am afraid your prospects of getting any employment at the moment are very slim

I am so sorry but even those of us who were fortunate enough to get trained in the traditional manner and have years of experiance under our belt are finding it hard to gain employment

I do wish you luck though and am sure if you stick to it you will get there

good luck fella. keep trying. but have to say my apprentice is near his level 3 towards gas. and still a far way off being what i expect to be, leashed on the public on certain things. hes good and now an asset. but i think iv lost interest in spending time teaching anyone else again. i was lucky i had him when i was employed. then when i was made to go self employed a different matter. most guys will now see you as a fret, if they do get you through your quals. dont want to be pessimistic. but your enetering a trade on its knees at the mo. but do hope you find a way through. and good luck.

Good luck mate,keep sending off cv's,work hard and ignore the nobheads on this site ;)

Unfortunately because of family issues at that time I never finished my "A" levels but I got half way in Oxted School. I was studying, Biology, Chemistry, Math and Physics.

Those are ideal "A" levels for any medical or scientific career.

My advice would be that you should complete your "A" levels and consider a university degree course. You will find that difficult after 26 so you only have five years!

Graduates at 31 earn 26% more than non graduates and over a working life about £230,000 more!

Quite apart from the difficulty in getting training in plumbing there is severe difficulty in getting any jobs now and obviously those with prior experience will get those few jobs which may come up.

Tony

Our HR department are always on the look out for good timeserved Plumber/Heating Engineers, but they must have a very high skill level in the following disciplines;
General Plumbing Installation work.
Roof Leadwork & Leadburning.
General Central Heating installation work(both domestic & commercial).
Boiler repair work.
Ventilation & general HVAC installation work.
All renewable appliance installation work.
All under floor heating installation work.
All Plumbing & Central Heating jobbing work.
Cert. Welder in steel pipework.
All gas ACS.
Basic books-in rate is £12.20/hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back