calling all professional plumbers

My concern is that I have no experience at all. I feel I should do the course so I can obtain an understand of the plumbing world. I am thinking more on the lines of advising my Dad not to do the course now as he has experience with DIY in this area. Although he takes a bit longer to do the job than normal plumbers he does get it done...... I am in 2 minds about it now!!

For example he changed the toilet at my brothers house, took him a while but he did a good job (as always) so I have every confidence in him doing it. The course start on the 28th September and we have been planning this for sometime (as the waiting list for the course was around 2 years!) so now................ hmmm... dunno..........

Sponsored Links
I think if you have a place (lucky) then take it if you can take the day a week off for 2 years (or whatever your course is).
When I did NVQ2 it was OK as I was self employed, and anything I couldn't actually do on the job could be done in the college workshop. But that has changed - you need some way of doing things under supervision, as far as I know. But colleges are very good at getting people through the course somehow. You can only ask.

I know I derided the technical worth of the course, but the other two benefits do make up for that - One that it's a step into other qualifications / memberships, and Two, that you'll be able to get answers on all your on-the-job questions for a couple of years.

Aaron: I am in a similar boat to you but a couple of years further on, ie I have just qualified as a plumber (NVQ 2) and like yourself have an IT background. First of all I am surprised to learn that you and your dad have managed to get on such a course in anycase, as my understanding was that from Sept '04 only people working in the industry as trainees would be eligible. With the scarcity of such courses I would say definetly both go for it. You will need it simply to validate yourself. If your dad finds it falls short then he can walk away and pursue his own agenda doing small jobs. The college will fill the place very easily so don't worry about that.

I do agree with Chris R that the course falls short in quite a few ways. Principally this is within central heating area where there is a lot of work and so there exists a substantial weight of expectation. You will get some bare bones theory in this area but wholly insufficient practical exposure. Chris's recommendation for Gas Installation course should be noted. The bathroom installation side of things you can more or less pick up as you go especially if you can do tiling.

Oilman maintains that he has seen work done by qualified plumbers which is poor. I am sure it is the case. The problem is that we don't start off in the industry with Oilmans depth of experience, sadly and for me this makes even the slenderest qualification essential.

What it comes down to is attitude. Integrity and diligence should stand you in good stead. If you are keen with your pricing and not scared to admit that a given job might beyond your (prevailing) level of skill then you should be okay.

Also you can obtain third-party insurance as a trainee (currently unqualified) plumber at around £300 pa. I will try to find out more regarding this.

The problem is that we don't start off in the industry with Oilmans depth of experience, sadly.......

What word beginning with "i" is associated with this song from around the late '60s?

Flows and bows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air,
And feathered canyons everywhere,

For a bonus point, what "c" got in the way?

Sponsored Links
Ok guys.
Thanks for the advice. I shall be going on the course for def and now I shall def advise me Dad to go on it.
I am throughly looking forward to it but although it will be tiring, after a day at my normal job, I will expect it to be rewarding in the long run so I can leave the ever boring IT profession (which is too political these days) and have a worth while trade :D

Sorry Oilman, I missed the first question but Voltaire described the "i" as "...the first of all pleasures"!

Cheers

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELPFULL COMMENTS CHAINSAW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back