Titanium hammers

E

EddieM

Oh dear, what a waste of money. A "solution" looking for a problem methinks. Only an idiot would buy one..... ahem .... :(

Sponsored Links
I'll lay odds that you've never actually used one, and that in all probability you've never even used a welded-head steel hammer, either? Or know/understand why the came into existance.

I'll lay odds that you've never actually used one, and that in all probability you've never even used a welded-head steel hammer, either? Or know/understand why the came into existance.

Not so, I own one it's is a total gimick.

Last edited by a moderator:

I use one piece hammers, would be interested to be enlightened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
This article might shed some light on the debate.

Yes I feel it's rubbish. Titanium has approx half the elasticity of steel. Surely equates to more rebound, it's about half the density of steel, hence the long handles. Larger swing equals less accuracy. I cannot for the life of me see why there would be any advantage at all.

All my hammers are estwing. And I'm pretty sure they don't touch titanium.
Has to be a gimmick.

Titanium has approx half the elasticity of steel. Surely equates to more rebound,
More elasticity = more rebound. Think about it like this: What would be the effect of replacing a relatively inelastic sledge hammer head with a (very elastic) car spring of equal weight? Or, why are balls made of rubber rather than something like wood? Elastic material bounces. The physics of the article is correct.

More elasticity = more rebound. Think about it like this: What would be the effect of replacing a relatively inelastic sledge hammer head with a (very elastic) car spring of equal weight? Or, why are balls made of rubber rather than something like wood? Elastic material bounces. The physics of the article is correct.

Was thinking about that statement... on balance I think what I claimed was incorrect.

Maybe I'm speaking from the point of view of greater age, but the big plus of a titanium (and to a lesser extent a welded-hrad steel) hammer is that there is far less shock transmitted back through the elbow and shoulder joints. Not something you tend to notice in your twenties, but something you may become painfully aware of in your fifties and sixties. Greater swing = reduced accuracy? Then don't take up golf! Like any tool you become used to their characteristics (or maybe not). For driving nails I notice relatively little difference between a "lightweight" and a heavyweight, other than the heavy hammer putting a lot greater strain on my right shoulder - the one plus point of a conventional 24oz hammer is that if you are using it for "clubbing" (such as driving wedges) it performs better; but then for tasks like that I have a "tofee hammer" (club hammer) in my toolkit, which is even better. I've already decided that my next hammer will be a titanium.

mine won't be at 250 quid that's for sure, whilst the physics might be sound there can't be that much difference in performance. I have two Estwings that I have had for around 20 years and I expect them to see me to the point that I am unable to lift them.
My personal opinion is that it's just a gimmick, if your arms and shoulders are so ****ed that a titanium hammer makes the difference over a steel one then it's time you packed it all in

Personally if I'm using a hammer I WANT it to be heavy. Surely that's half the point of using one in the first place?

My personal opinion is that it's just a gimmick, if your arms and shoulders are so ****ed that a titanium hammer makes the difference over a steel one then it's time you packed it all in
Ah, there speaks the callow voice of youth! Or in other words aren't you being just a tad ageist? I broke my right collarbone more than 40 years ago and it healed badly - so for me a welded-head steel "lightweight" has succesfully reduced shoulder strain when I'm on those jobs requiring lots oh hand nailing (few enough in these days of the cordless and gas nailer). It isn't just age which can cause problems. In any case I've never really liked Estwings - and as for that weight forward monstrosity they tried to foist on us, well.........

Personally if I'm using a hammer I WANT it to be heavy. Surely that's half the point of using one in the first place?
And there was me thinking that the point was to drive nails, pins, etc in. TBH, watching someone drive veneer pins with a 20oz Estwing is actually hilarious... as I found out earlier this year

ha ha fair enough each to their own, I suppose I've never known anything else.
Seriously though I ain't going to spend 250 quid on a hammer I would want it to bang the nails in on it's own for that sort of money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back