Tlx2259 upgrade... Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace tlx2259. Wiring looks like this - can anyone give me a steer on what is is/isn't compatible with? Ideally I'd get a Google nest. Newbie here - any help much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220116_204606.jpg
    20220116_204606.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
The red is live. The blue is the neutral. The yellow is call for heat.

you can use those connections to most thermostats that can handle 230volts.

That includes Nest and other devil’s contraptions.

You can use Nest Gen 3 or Nest e but I after fitting Nest Gen 3 am no fan of Nest. The nest temperature sensors have not been released in the UK, only US, so Nest can only sense one room.

Most the other so called 'Smart' thermostats can link to TRV heads so can sense more than one room.

Oil and old gas boilers turn on/off, modern gas boilers turn down, although there are thermostats that connect to ebus like the OpenTherm used with Nest, in the main the TRV controls room temperature and the wall thermostat is only there to stop the boiler cycling.

I do see the idea of geofencing, but there are practical problems, my Nest worked until Google took over, but have found no controls other than eco and comfort temperatures.

The whole idea is when your x miles from home, heating turns on, however what we want is x minutes, it will take a set time to raise the temperature from a holding temperature (Eco) to a running temperature (Comfort) and so one hour can be 70 miles to 5 miles depending where you live.

I have Energenie TRV heads which were claimed to work with Nest, they don't, but they have a OTT anti-hysteresis software so set to 20°C when room at 16°C and it can take 3 hours to reach 20°C, so I would set at 22°C for one hour, then 20°C and it was at 20°C in one hour. However can't do that with geofencing, so the Drayton Wiser TRV head claims to have built in algorithms which work out time taken so can rewarm the room within the hour. Not used them so don't know if that is true.

What we want is a comparison between makes of TRV head, although eQ-3 and Terrier i30 electronic heads are stand alone, most connect to a wall thermostat or hub, some are controlled from the wall unit, EVO-home1.jpg others need a phone, tablet, or PC to access the system, this TRV-report3.jpg looks good on the PC, but this EQ-3 Bluetooth Smart Radiator Thermostat.jpg is so much easier, on touch of right hand button and swaps eco - comfort or comfort - eco, yes can use bluetooth Screenshot_20190725-145157_calor BT.jpg but I do not walk around at home with my mobile glued to my side.

Same applies with wall thermostat Screenshot_20190726-164415_Nest.jpg in the main I simply turn the dial Hot water boost.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back