To all you experienced self employed plumbers!

Sponsored Links
If I was sensible I wouldn't renew this July and I wouldn't renew my Electrical either. I would just do general building work like repair pitch and flat roofs kitchens bathrooms, I can do all those things to a high standard.

Our overheads especially when you are qualified in everything like me are gynormous. The electrical side is more than the gas.

The only purpose to keep the registrations up would be to use them as an educator of more hopeless idiots following in our footsteps.

Like you said the rot set in 3 or four years ago when the insurance companies (bought out by bg) and manufacturers went for our work. Then they give us crap terms for doing the work for them.

I Must admit a slowing down this year, i have spent a lot on advertising and would say i probably broke even.

Paul,

Electrics would you bother doing your say its worth doing Part P, I was thinking about registering with NAPIT for Electrics and doing my Part P.

The reason for the above thinking is Part G notifications etc, and the site nappit site quotes about 390 to join and renew per annum as long as it can be done in one visit

The problem i have is is it worth it for the heating system work i do and the occasional bathroom vent or shower.

On a side matter the problems i find is Quotations i am ok with pricing etc but i think my quotes lack a style to them either they are not bulky or i am not including enough stuff with them.... I have asked a few time for other peoples quote examples to compare but its the one thing people seme reluclant to share.

What do you include within quotations, Mine are usually 2 copies of quotation and a SAE for returning.

Do you include brouchers? Full heatloss Calc (What format), Drawings another problem i don't know what program to use for drawings etc don't wanna go the hole hog with cad but some people like to see sketches of rad positions etc, anyone recommend a good program.

I am sure if i could get the quotation(s) right i would then convert more leads to jobs.

While writing i have another bug bear - Phones Redirect I redirect to my mobile when out and about due to working etc, but the enquiries are down but the bills are up due to all the bloody advertising calls i keep getting, 1 in google, BT, Yell, Thomposn, BT Custoemr Street, Check a Trade, you name it they seem to ring us, whcih is all good and well but sometimes i feel them and the phone company are the only ones making the money

Sponsored Links
Kevin, Sorry thats my fault i didn't mean the joining fee i was more concerned about the ongoing expense i.e whats renewal cost, sorry for that

Nathan

no lay in ................... in the morning :LOL: :LOL:

Does that mean you have a lay in later on in the day? :confused:
And I thought I was bad when it comes to getting up.
Anything you say can and will be used against you.

Kevin, Sorry thats my fault i didn't mean the joining fee i was more concerned about the ongoing expense i.e whats renewal cost, sorry for that

Nathan

Listen mate this is the real world my anual subscription to Napit is £560, my professional indemnity insurance is £260 both additional costs to being corgi/gassafe. Still need the usual public liability. Afurther electrical cost is the test gear now costs £1,000 mine was only £700. It costs £80 a year to callibrate.

Before I get out of bed in the morning I have cost myself money exisiing as something this government made me become but the customers are suing people who don't bother being kosher..

i am absoluetly firm on this the government should have approached it totally differently. They should regulate the job not the tradesman.

thanks for that paul at least i now know its not just me that is struggling to survive!

what ever I do at the moment doesn't seem to be working
advertising in local paper, yell.com, leaflets being delivered by hand by ourselves and every web page i can find.
nothing seems to be very good at the moment.

Ditto, I found 118247 a total loss, as well as yell.com, yellow pages.
Has some success with leafltes but it varies from place to place even within a small town like mine. Had a small sucess with local rag 1/4 page but its too expensive to continue week in week out! No success within local rag classifieds.

Most of my work has come through Word of Mouth
Oh and Ive just been royally ripped off by a letting agent/property management company.

And too many folk wanting to avoid the VAT by paying cash, which I just wont do. I dont fancy being strung up by the VATMAN thank you very much!

Oh and Ive just been royally ripped off by a letting agent/property management company.

Company policy :D , and standard advice to all starters,
Unless you know them well, AND trust them, do not work for:

Builders
Contractors
Insurance companies
Estate/letting agents
Property developers
Property managers
Landlords
People who want you to finish the job and send you a check in the mail afterwards.

If you fancy working without financial gain, choose a charity you like.

118247 is a pathetic joke total waste of time (tried it first year it was started) no work ever came from it.

yellow pages / yell. com have worked well in the past as have leaflets, but recently nothing seems to be producing much.

It sounds like round here, again new vans with company names on I have never seen before - lots of vans from the insurance guys , work is dead here.

Hey just joined the forum, so first post,

I've been trading for around 6 years now, all been really good profit wise
then this year, total shambles so far.

Hardly any work about only getting the repair jobs coming in at the mo.
Never really advertised before, missed this years yell pages
so joined yell.com in Feb, not had a single lead from it yet.

Considering doing some leafleting, had a quote for solus distribution,
20,000 leaflets for £1200 + printing

anyway havent decided if leaflets are the right way to go, see if things pick up in the meen time :eek:

bp.gif

Sponsored Links
Back