To Bitumen or not to Bitumen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having some work done to lower the ground height around my house and have filled the old air bricks in (white bricks on photo) as my internal floors are concrete with a DPM.

My question is should I Bitumen over the lower 2 courses of bricks (once the weather improves and the brick work dries out further) as an extra water barrier? I have read on here however that this can trap damp in bricks.

I have had a Google for the pro's and cons but advice from the expert's or those with the knowledge is always welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220302_172129.jpg
    20220302_172129.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dont do the bitumen thing.
Is the wall a solid wall?
As mentioned the ground level must be lowered.
Have you located your DPC?
What is the white material covering the air bricks?
The window sill doesn't appear to have a throating.
The blackened brickwork suggests water dripping down from above?

Thanks both. Can I ask why not, as it seems to be on the majority of Victorian houses in my area?

Just to answer your questions @tell80 incase it reveals a problem.
1. Yes, solid walls.
2. DPC advised to be 2 course from ground level and where the efflorescence stops so makes sense?
3. Air bricks replaced by bricks as internal floors concrete, no cavity and building footings start just below where they were, so with lowering the ground height the air bricks were filled to prevent any moisture ingress.
4. There is a throat channel under the concrete sill, same on the window above. All clean and clear.
5. Bricks are black in places across the house. I think it is weathering but made worse in places by recent rain. No leaking gutters or anything but I will keep an eye on this however so thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
??? - that is a new expression I've not heard before - what are you referring to, please.
A channel in the concrete under the cill . to prevent water tracking back across the cill to the brickwork. They dont always run the full length of the cill for the sake of appearance.

??? - that is a new expression I've not heard before - what are you referring to, please.
The Drip is referring to a "drip". It stops water running back towards the building

Here's one in a timber cill

upload_2022-3-3_17-13-38.png

A throating in on a fireplace!! You don't tend to see them on window cills :cautious:

upload_2022-3-3_17-17-4.png

A channel in the concrete under the cill . to prevent water tracking back across the cill to the brickwork. They dont always run the full length of the cill for the sake of appearance.
So it's another name (or a local) for the 'Drip' channel on the underside of the cill.

The Drip is referring to a "drip". It stops water running back towards the building

Here's one in a timber cill

View attachment 262921

A throating in on a fireplace!! You don't tend to see them on window cills :cautious:

View attachment 262923
Thank's Woody - certainly know what a drip is; even know that a 'throating' is at the bottom of a sleeved chimney. Just never heard a Drip called Throating before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back