To change or not to change ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
Friends house hasn’t been updated for 30yrs was inherited from her mother.
New combi boiler and rads going in.
Would you recommend replacing pipe work or will a good power flush do the job.
Old stone floors etc so a pipe change would be a pita.
Any advice appreciated thank you.

Sponsored Links
Our pipes and some of our rads were over 50 years old when we converted the system to sealed with unvented hot water. Pipes were fine but a couple of the rads started leaking through pinholes. If there is already a combi there, the pressure holds and all the rads are getting hot, I would assume that all was needed would be a chemical flush before fitting a new boiler. I’m not a heating engineer though!

Last edited:
The new boiler will be as efficient as it is possible to manufacture which means it’ll be a Range Rover not a Land Rover eg built to work under ideal conditions not any conditions. If your friend is staying there change it all.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it the best approach would be to change it all. That being said, I've changed boilers and rads in systems where the copper pipework was 20-30 odd years old and still nice and clean, all it needed was a mains flush and a pressure test, once it passed that then it all went in, 4 years later on it's still super clean.

Taking from that .... it's all down to the installer and how good he is. He's the one that should check and make the determination IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back