To Laser or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy me a few new levels and set squares to erect some external and internal metal stud walls.

I was wondering if it would be better to invest in a laser level, or can you simply not do away with the traditional bubble levels and set squares??

Sponsored Links
Horses for courses. We use both.

My PLS laser is a boon for setting up stud walls as it fires a vertical (and horizontal) beam 360 degrees around the room. This means that if I set it at the bottom of the wall floor abutment it produces a line that covers the walls, floor and ceiling. We then strike a series of marks with a pencil and join them with a straight edge. So easy.

The laser also has a pulse facility and a portable (beeping) sensor for outside work which is ideal for foundation pegs etc.

We wouldn't be without our 1200mm Stanley folding builders square either.

Get one. I have just bought a dewalt self leveling laser bloody brill saves loads of time and makes life so easy. Im just starting a side extension and as it going darker outside used it loads for checking levels etc. Note its ment gor indoor!

You wont be disapointed

Sponsored Links
And Pythag. 3-4-5 with some scrap timber makes a good square ;)

Don't know if this is allowed but I do have a laser level for sale at the moment as surplus, ebay price of £29 not sold due to a timewaster, so if you wanted it for less than this, say £25 I would be happy.
Laser level complete kit (161675999916)
Regards Old_Robin

Thanks for the comments, looks like I will be getting a Laser Level then!!

Is it a must have for a 3 line laser? Or would a 2 line with horizontal 360 do the job (like the Bosch PLL 360)

Thanks Old-Robin, Im probably going to get a self leveling jobbie though, sorry

Yes. This is not self-levelling and hence is only as accurate as a bubble in a sight glass (Spirit level) which with the best will in the world is not that accurate over 5 - 10 metres or more. I use water level on foundations/first courses as I am OCD about it. :) Robin
Self-levelling is only as accurate as the manufacturer makes it so buy a decent one if it is important to you.

Im Just looking at 2 now, the Bosch PLL 360 and the Stanley STHT1-77137

Any one used one of these?

I've got the Bosch GLL2-50 and it works well.

Just note that you can't see the laser line outdoors at all

I bought a cheapie from Toolstation- works fine, does the self-levelling bit (though if you are doing a 360 degree spin then it does rely on level bubbles). It struggles in full daylight but is fine indoors (and works outside after dark!)

But I nearly came unstuck setting verticals for a stud wall- if your target surface has any sort of lean on it and the laser isn't square onto the wall then your vertical line won't be vertical. Fortunately the wall concerned is massively squint so the error was conspicuous...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back