To Re-Roof or Not to Re-Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Roofers!

I have a few quick questions on roofing:

I have those clay type tyles (big, heavy, wavy shape) on my 1930s semi ... they look like they have been up for a long while, looking quite tired, mossy, off-coloured etc...

So, I have two options:

Get scaffold up and clean em up, or;
Get scaffold in and reroof!

Is it worth reroofing tho? and are these tiles the type that lift on/off, resting on the battens rather than being nailed on!? If so, and I was to reroof, I guess it's stripping off the semi-circular tiles (coping!?!?) on the hips, then working down the slope?! Easy enough to do right!? ;)

Or, would you just get up there and spend a few days giving em a good clean and repoint/replace where necessary!?

How long are these tiles designed to last anyhow!?

Ta!

Netto :cool:

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
is your roof leaking?

Nah, just doesn't look pretty...mind you, I did find a very slight wet patch near the ridge a few weeks back - was when the wind was up and possibly driving the rain under the tiles...!?

Sponsored Links
Netto said:
So, I have two options:

There is always, always the "do nothing" option

And don't stare too long at any plastered walls, else they may want re-skimming too lol :LOL:

^woody^ said:
Netto said:
So, I have two options:

There is always, always the "do nothing" option

And don't stare too long at any plastered walls, else they may want re-skimming too lol :LOL:

I've been 'doing nothing' all week woody! ;)

As for the skimming, I thought uplighters would look great in the lounge...now all I see are walls to re-skim! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back