Re-roof alternatives

Sponsored Links
Those particular marks look too localised to be condensation that's why I think there may be tiles with snapped water channels above them.

Those particular marks look too localised to be condensation that's why I think there may be tiles with snapped water channels above them.

Thanks. This is what I need to know. Every single wet spot looks like this, which is why I said I found it hard to believe it could be condensation and why the roof vents were a red herring (and probably waste of money).

So is the next step the removal of some tiles at each wet point?

Remove the tiles above the wet spots till you find out where the water is coming from.
Are the tiles clipped?
I'm assuming you are in an area of high exposure...the pics have painted a different picture...still not convinced it is time for a new roof though.

Sponsored Links
As far as I know the tiles are all nailed.

High exposure - yes and no. We are down in a heavily wooded glen which is generally quite sheltered but at the same time the houses are all staggered on a slope so we don't get any protection from anything around us. Don't know if that's classed as high exposure. We are 3rd from the bottom so not as high as the 3 above us.

Right. Got a wee update on this one.

We went up on the roof today and removed some tiles above one of the leak points.

We couldn't see any issues with the tiles themselves with all water gates intact however....

The felt beneath, in one nice long run along the roof, right where all the leaks come in, has been laid the wrong way round so that the run below is sitting on top of the one above. Although it looks like it has had adhesive applied, where there has been any droop in the fibre board beneath, the felt has slackened and the joint has opened up.

To prove a point, we poured a bit of water on the felt above and the water came into the loft at the exact point that one leaked at.

So, we know why the water is getting from felt to loft,but we are still at a loss as to where the water is getting in. We lifted right to the ridge and nothing looked out of place.

The tiles are not necessarily 100% they're just a weather screen., before felt and membranes were used the pitch was always steep and the ventilation was good enough to keep things dry, but now you just need to rely on the membrane to handle any drips or defects.
Having said that membrane the wrong way lapped is such a basic error I'm not sure they knew what they were doing! Did they send the apprentice up on their own?

Yeah, I was pretty stunned when we found it. All I know is the house was built 30 years ago by a builder for his daughter, so who knows who built what.

Ok, another update. Have had another roofer out as it's still leaking and we have run out of ideas.

The only thing he can see, which sounds plausible, is that although the headlap is a good 85mm or so, the nail hole is situated at such a point that it is sitting on the edge of the capillary barrier of the tile above it. He showed me on a tile that had been removed a while back and you could see a water mark touching the nail hole, photo below.

Unfortunately if that's the case it'll need stripped and then possibly new ones put on as the ones on there, Scotcem double Roman aren't made any more as the company went bust in the 90s and they were apparently a particularly big tile.

And in typical luck he is a one man show so doesn't do big strip and lay jobs so has given me details of someone who does. IMG_20180109_103449.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back