Re-roof alternatives

Get quotes from a local builder/roofer not a national company. Quote will be much less.

I wish! The quotes so far have all been from local businesses! Had a friend's husband round this morning who is a house builder and renovator who although couldn't shed any light on the issue, he did recommend a company he has used for re-roof so will see what they say.

Sponsored Links
Just as a wee update to this, I took 2 tiles that had been removed when the vents were put in and put them at a shallow angle under a cold shower and left for 24 hrs. The underside was no damper than when I started.

To me that suggests they aren't porous, or not enough to cause the leaks I'm seeing. Which then begs the question what the hell is going on.

Ok, for anyone who has the will power to continue reading this one, more updates and questions.

As I really have nothing to lose I cut away sections of the internal board to inspect the felt underneath. I did this at a few points where it has been leaking, then above each of those points. I also cut flaps in the felt.

At each one, the battens looked as if they had been fitted days ago and showed no discolouring from water contact. The felt was all still clean and dry and showed no water marking.

It has been raining all day and no visible leaks. I really don't understand.

Another person has suggested the issue is still condensation. However, any time since experienced condensation, it has been visible in the loft space, like water droplets on gable ends, wooden surfaces etc. For it to be condensing on the other side of the fibre boards and the underside of the felt, and not inside the actual loft space, would have to be such specific conditions I can't see it happening so often.

Can the above really happen?

Cheers.

The vent tiles are venting air between the felt and tiles making the felt colder and the underlying fiber board colder and more susceptible to moisture in the attic condensing on it.
whoever installed the vent tiles lacks the basic understanding of how to control and vent moisture.
Try cutting the felt and fibre board beneath each vent tile to vent the loft space...you have nothing to lose.
May save you a fortune.

Sponsored Links
The vent tiles are venting air between the felt and tiles making the felt colder and the underlying fiber board colder and more susceptible to moisture in the attic condensing on it.
whoever installed the vent tiles lacks the basic understanding of how to control and vent moisture.
Try cutting the felt and fibre board beneath each vent tile to vent the loft space...you have nothing to lose.
May save you a fortune.

I think the original roofers feeling was that the moist air wasn't coming from the loft space but rather just outside air flowing under the tiles but not having enough flow to keep it going, sort of thing.

But yes you have a point, I could just work out where they are and cut.

It is condensation!....you dont get leaks in ten different locations then none even if it is raining..

It is condensation!....you dont get leaks in ten different locations then none even if it is raining..

But we also only get the leaks when it's raining. Wonder if it is to do with the outside temp during the rain. Although it has leaked in the summer just as much as the winter.

I think the original roofers feeling was that the moist air wasn't coming from the loft space but rather just outside air flowing under the tiles but not having enough flow to keep it going, sort of thing.

Total rubbish! vent the attic and it will stop.

Are the leaks at the eaves, middle, top? does the loft feel airy when you open the loft hatch?
I dont know how informed you are in condensation causes, and measures to control it but ill impart some advice...
Firstly everything in your home which produces moisture rises straight up through the ceilings and condenses on the first cold surface it comes into contact with..in your case the underside of the fiber board. the installer of the vent tiles has exasperated the problem by introducing more cold air between the felt and tiles as a result making the fiber boards colder and more prone to condensation.
If you dont have a seal on your loft hatch, have penetrations through upstairs ceilings into attic..ie downlighters..non mechanical extraction when using shower..ditto kitchen. drying clothing over radiators.and the worst offender re-circulating tumble driers...all contribute to large volumes of moisture.
Im surprised your builder never picked up on this, though some roofers are educated and up to speed on the different products which can be used to prevent moisture in attics the majority do not.
After cutting the fibre board beneath the vents cut an x in the felt and fold the top flap up and the side flaps over to prevent any future water penetration from getting in at the vents.
You are looking for both high and low level and cross ventilation to be effective.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Al. The leaks appear where there are joints in the fibre boards. Mostly middle of the roof or higher up. There's only 1 or 2 at low eaves level.

I'm fairly up to speed with condensation etc, so much so when I bought the place I had extractors fitted in the kitchen and bathroom. Trickle vents are always open and washing is dried in a utility with its own humidistat controlled extractor.

The loft space has 2 high level clear air bricks at each gable end and the eaves are vented the entire way round the house and are clear from insulation. The loft is thickly insulated and then floored and the hatch is insulated and has a seal all the way round. This is why I find it hard to see how it could be condensation. There's no mould on any of the exposed cold surfaces up there, it never feels damp and we store paperwork up there which hasn't deteriorated.

If it is condensation then great!

Here are some photos of the water marks left by the leaks. The majority of the boards are unstained and aren't sagging in any way. The chalk was so I could monitor if they were getting worse.

Also a photo of the one vent I've opened up. IMG_20171012_121711.jpgIMG_20171012_121754.jpg IMG_20171012_121745.jpg IMG_20171012_121732.jpg

I would still open the boards and felt to allow cross ventilation.
The guys may have snapped the channels on some of the tiles when painting the roof so worth checking the tiles above and over the suspect areas.
Those pics are water penetration.

Thanks Al. We checked all the tiles while we were up removing the moss. Used a roof ladder so no walking or crawling on the tiles.

That's the problem...broken channels are difficult to pinpoint, you would have to check every tile over and above the leaks up to the ridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back