TO USE OR NOT TO USE FUSED SPUR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After posting a previous thread, we came to the conclusion of wiring a bathroom mirror from the constant live feed at the ceiling rose

Having now bought a mirror, it says to connect to a 3A fused spur.

Is this a must or can I omit the fused spur?

OR if not omittable, can I connect the fused spur on the wire between ceiling rose and mirror??

Sponsored Links
You could connect the FCU between the rose and the mirror if you really want, but there is no need or point in doing so.

Having now bought a mirror, it says to connect to a 3A fused spur.
Is this a must or can I omit the fused spur?
You follow the manufacturers instructions, did they also state 30mA RCD protection was required?
OR if not omittable, can I connect the fused spur on the wire between ceiling rose and mirror??
You can but there will very likely to be a requirement for RCD protection and if the mirror is installed within a bathroom/shower zone it will required building controls notification.
As always compliance to part p of building regulations is a legal requirement (England&Wales), so the installation would need to proved to be safe by design, installation and use.

Personally I would do a risk assessment it the mirror goes faulty then likely the 5A fuse or 6A MCB/RCBO will open before any damage but if you lose the lights what would be the result. Can you run enough standard lamps until the fault is fixed and would being plunged into darkness create a danger?

An isolator takes up the same room as a FCU so what is the point. May as well fit a FCU as fit an isolator.

Of course today any additions do are already pointed out require RCD protection so if wired before 2008 likely you will need to fit a RCD FCU may as well also protect bathroom lights but to comply wiring to the RCD FCU would need to be ali-tube which means to power up a bathroom mirror in a house wired before 2008 becomes an expensive exercise if keeping to the regulations.

OK exceptions my house had lights on RCD back in 1992 but that's unusual.

As a rough guide for LABC fees and parts you need to be looking at around £200 to do the work to be legal as DIY so in real terms not a DIY job.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would do a risk assessment it the mirror goes faulty then likely the 5A fuse or 6A MCB/RCBO will open before any damage ....
As I need not tell you, there is absolutely no guarantee that the same wouldn't happen of there were also a 3A fuse (in FCU) in the circuit.
Of course today any additions do are already pointed out require RCD protection ... As a rough guide for LABC fees
Advice in this thread seems to be being given on the assumptions that (a) the lighting circuit is not RCD protected and (assuming we're talking England), the mirror location will be within a designated 'zone' (i.e. within 600mm of a bath or shower). One or both of those things may be true, but we don't know ....
N3mo - is the lighting circuit RCD-protected and will the mirror be within 600mm of the edge of a bath or shower?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back