Todays Newspaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Apparently kitchen electrics are about to be removed from building control and council approval, allowing DIY work to go ahead unnotified as from April"
Has any one heard this officially from their Electrical body?

Sponsored Links
No. But I assume, like bonding, it is assumed that everyone these days is RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
"Apparently kitchen electrics are about to be removed from building control and council approval, allowing DIY work to go ahead unnotified as from April"
Has any one heard this officially from their Electrical body?
Well the draft seems to allow for alterations to be made on existing circuits, that does not mean new circuits can be installed without notification, and it's a draft and yet to be confirmed.

Yes I realise that people were talking about 3rd party certification, however this seems to suggest there will be no certification required, and DIY'ers can just go ahead and install kitchen sockets and outside lights.

Yes I realise that people were talking about 3rd party certification, however this seems to suggest there will be no certification required, and DIY'ers can just go ahead and install kitchen sockets and outside lights.
It doesn't just because it is not notifiable, does not mean it is exempt of certification.

Well the draft seems to allow for alterations to be made on existing circuits, that does not mean new circuits can be installed without notification, and it's a draft and yet to be confirmed.
Do you really think that they would have gone to the trouble of changing the Approved Document if they were not sure if the law was going to change?

NO NO NO

ALL electrical work is to be tested and certified as complying with the relavent standards (BS7671, eg). The work may require a minor works certificate or an Installation Certificate, depending on what has been carried out.

What the topic is about is NOTIFICATION of works. Its not the same thing, at all.

if you are not obliged to lodge certification with anyone, how do you supoose failure to certificate will be detected, and what sanctions do you think exist for failure to certificate?

Well the draft seems to allow for alterations to be made on existing circuits, that does not mean new circuits can be installed without notification ...
Indeed. Not only does it not mean that, but the new AP appears to explicitly state that installation of new circuits (in kitchens or anywhere else) will continue to require notification.

Kind Regards, John

It seems that extensions to existing circuits are not notifiable so a lot of work in kitchens will not be!

I also note that notifiable only applies to work within certain specified distances of a bath or shower so a lot will now fall outside the notifiable bracket!

if you are not obliged to lodge certification with anyone, how do you supoose failure to certificate will be detected, and what sanctions do you think exist for failure to certificate?
The classic answer to that is that people such as a housebuyer's solicitor or an insurance company (in the case, for example, of a fire claim) could ask to see them them. However, as for action being taken against anyone for failing to comply with Part P (for non-notifiable work) by not having relevent certificates completed, I think you can, in practice, forget that, either before or after the changes in April.

Kind Regards, John

It does raise an interesting question of who needs the certificates. Would an electrician who did work on his own house, complete one and give it to himself?
Would a house owner after doing DIY just fill one in?

As a parallel I completed a £750,000 scheme in October, energised an 11kV cable and network, certification required - NIL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back