April 6th Changes

Sponsored Links
we all know that a high, probably very high, proportion of DIY electrical work actually fails to comply with Part P because of the absence of appropriate testing. However, given that that is almost certainly never going to change (no matter what we say to DIYers), I'm not sure what we can/should do about it, or what attitude we should take to it.
Never, never regard that as acceptable or inevitable.
Always, always tell people that they must test.
Always, always tell them that if they cannot or will not do the work properly then doing it improperly is unacceptable - it is simply and clearly "do it right or do not do it at all".
Yes, we know your view, but we have to function in the real world. In practice (since it is 'inevitable', even if we don't like it), your third statement would apply in a high proportion of cases. If that were to become the standard response to almost all questions which get asked here, one might just as well close the forum and replace it with a statement ... or, if it would give you satisfaction (that you were performing a public service) we could just leave the forum to you, to cut/paste that standard response whenever anyone posted a question.

I don't like the situation any more than you do. Where we differ is in that I believe that some pragmatism and 'compromise' probably needs to be exercised.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed we do - your attitude is shameful.

But there you go - the world is full of people who dress up defeatism as pragmatism.

Sponsored Links
Chapter 61, 62 & 63 quite clearly states it, approved doc part p states it,
If you care to read them?

I think you are referencing the British Standard and the Part P guidance?

Part P is part of the building regulations. It is law but only states:

It does not reference the British Standard.

The approved doc does reference the BS but is guidance not law.

No need to go over all this again though //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/part-p-notification-from-april-2013.357652/#2699164

I think you are referencing the British Standard and the Part P guidance? Part P is part of the building regulations. It is law but only states: .... It does not reference the British Standard. The approved doc does reference the BS but is guidance not law.
That's all correct, but the reality is that for the great majority of people (including the vast majority of DIYers), being able to show that they have complied with BS7671 is the only way that they can support an argument that they have complied with the law (i.e. Part P of the Building Regs). Only someone with considerable expert knowledge would be able to even attempt to argue that they had complied with Part P even though they had not complied with BS7671.

Kind Regards, John

No need to go over all this again though

No no need, but out of interest, what do you consider to be reasonable precautions? and the government have published guidance to the law, would it not be foolish to think that those would not be the correct steps to follow.
I know if I was taking on such tasks and then something occurred that caused death and destruction. I would be able to sleep knowing that I had documented evidence to prove when on commissioning that I had performed all the correct procedures and confirmed safety of my work.
Much better than the switch it on and it works brigade, your honour!

Tell me of another way!

If we're talking DIY and death and destruction then I don't see that a DIY'ers testing record would be accepted as it would not be easy to prove that it had been produced at the time and not fabricated later.

The testing record would protect a third party installer with qualifications to prove competence but I can't see how it would protect the DIY'er in the same way.

Therefore these tasks should not be deemed as DIY tasks, if they cannot perform the I,T and Cs to the required standards.
If an accredited third party has been employed and the correct procedures carried out, as in the guide. Then the I,T and Cs will be performed correctly and evidence documented. No probs with that.
Nothing against DIY, but the fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man
knows himself to be a fool.

So again, in line with Part P, what would you consider reasonable precautions?

You mean reasonable provision?

Has anyone been taken to court and tested what the court would accept as "reasonable" apart from compliance with the BS? Worth remembering that the BS changes and that non compliance with the latest is not going to mean that the work is dangerous.

What have I started...:LOL:

It was a simple query, and as John clearly stated, my example that he addressed would not be notifiable but there are clear exceptions which we can all refer to via the formal documentation, if interested.

This forum sadly very often goes off track, turning a simple thread into a realm of confusion for anyone else referring to the topic at a later date.

Can't we just all accept that we now know the implications of the 6th April changes, and that our own opinions are exactly that, our own?

And I will add that accredited or qualified doesn't necessarily mean that a job is actioned any better than that of a competent DIYer - I have seen 'professional' work in many of the trades (building, tiling, plumbing and electrics) done to an appalling standard, far lesser than the work I have done myself, as a DIYer.

Has anyone been taken to court and tested what the court would accept as "reasonable" apart from compliance with the BS?
Lets hope your not the first then!
Worth remembering that the BS changes and that non compliance with the latest is not going to mean that the work is dangerous.
Which will be detailed on the documents on commissioning.

What have I started...:LOL:
Your to blame then!
It was a simple query, and as John clearly stated, my example that he addressed would not be notifiable but there are clear exceptions which we can all refer to via the formal documentation, if interested.
I thought mine was clearer and precise ;)
This forum sadly very often goes off track, turning a simple thread into a realm of confusion for anyone else referring to the topic at a later date.
It is not sad at all, it's a forum that opens up discussion between all types from all walks, with a varying degree of knowledge, experience and skills. Providing no one is abusive and aggressive long may the ship sail
Can't we just all accept that we now know the implications of the 6th April changes, and that our own opinions are exactly that, our own?
That is the problem, there should now be no grey areas, they have had long enough to sort this out, opinions apart!
And I will add that accredited or qualified doesn't necessarily mean that a job is actioned any better than that of a competent DIYer - I have seen 'professional' work in many of the trades (building, tiling, plumbing and electrics) done to an appalling standard, far lesser than the work I have done myself, as a DIYer.
I'll give you that one, providing you can prove with documented evidence, that the installation and fabric of the build was no worse than when you started the work. All structures are compliant to building regulations, you have performed, all plumbing was compliant to water regulations and part G, L and H of BR, visual inspections and soundness tests using hydraulic pressure testing of 1.5 of normal working pressures on rigid pipework, 1/3rd on plastic pipework, taken flow rates, pressure and temperature readings of water and heating systems, performed seal loss air tests on sanitary appliances. Followed the requirements of BS7671 when installing electrical systems, performed I,T & C as chapters 61,62 & 63 of BS7671.
Used powdered cementous adhesive on large format tiles, have not exceeded the recommended weight of tile+adhesive of surface being tiled,, did not endanger people, livestock and property, followed all manufacturers instructions and cleaned up afterwards.
If not get your cowboy boots on ;) YEEHAW :!: :!:

If not get your cowboy boots on ;) YEEHAW :!: :!:

Haha, and all of that testing sounds great, but my point is that not all 'professional' engineers will do the job properly in the first place, or test their work, so the work of a DIYer can be comparable - I would hope that the majority do of course. And you don't always need documentation to show that the post-job is better than before starting, a visual inspection is sometimes sufficient in these old houses to know that it can only be better!

Anyway, its the weekend, lets hope that the sun comes out and the beer is cold :LOL:

p.s. I can confirm that I complied with the tiling requirements, as per your list :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back