April 6th Changes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see that since April 6th the following now applies:

1) The range of electrical installation work that is notifiable has been reduced. Kitchens and gardens are now no-longer considered ‘special’ locations.

What is the actual/real impact of this? Does it mean that electrical work carried out in a kitchen no longer requires local building/planning notification and that effectively allowances such as installation of an additional socket on a ring is now permitted in a kitchen without notification?

Sponsored Links
What is the actual/real impact of this? Does it mean that electrical work carried out in a kitchen no longer requires local building/planning notification and that effectively allowances such as installation of an additional socket on a ring is now permitted in a kitchen without notification?
Yes, it means exactly that.

The other major change (other than a marked reduction of what is notifiable) is that, even for that work which remains notifiable, one theoretically has an alternative of using a 'third party certifier' (if one can find one!), rather than notifying to LABC.

Kind Regards, John

What is the actual/real impact of this?
Backward steps concerning the safety of electrical installation within domestic properties.

Does it mean that electrical work carried out in a kitchen no longer requires local building/planning notification
No
that effectively allowances such as installation of an additional socket on a ring is now permitted in a kitchen without notification?
Yes

Sponsored Links
Does it mean that electrical work carried out in a kitchen no longer requires local building/planning notification
No
that effectively allowances such as installation of an additional socket on a ring is now permitted in a kitchen without notification?
Yes
Lest anyone thought that my earlier 'yes' answer applied to both of those questions (and not just the second, which was was my intention), I think the answer to the first one should be 'it depends'. Work in a kitchen no longer requires notification unless it involves installation of a 'new circuit'.

Kind Regards, John

Work in a kitchen no longer requires notification unless it involves installation of a 'new circuit'.
So no then? to "electrical work carried out in a kitchen no longer requires local building/planning notification"
As it does still require, in some instances to be notified.

Lest anyone thought that my earlier 'yes' answer applied to both of those questions
Shouldn't it?

sergeantash wrote:
Does it mean that electrical work carried out in a kitchen no longer requires local building/planning notification.

sergeantash wrote:

John's response was interpreted exactly as he intended at my end...he was addressing the summary/example that I had given.

Lest anyone thought that my earlier 'yes' answer applied to both of those questions
Shouldn't it? sergeantash wrote:
Does it mean that electrical work carried out in a kitchen no longer requires local building/planning notification.
sergeantash wrote:
Goodness, is it Friday evening already? :) I don't know about "shouldn't it" - that certainly wasn't my intent. On reflection, I probably should have only quoted the second part of the question, since that was the specific to which I was actually responding. It was only when I saw PBoD's post that I realised there was a potential ambiguity, and therefore posted the clarification.

In any event, as we now know, the OP interpreted my first post 'as I had intended', anyway!

Kind Regards, John

What is the actual/real impact of this?
To answer this part -

I think the biggest impact is that large companies who SELL and fit kitchens no longer have the cost and bother of having to register (with all that entails) their employees.

As, if I am correct, I thought that this was one of the main reasons why registration was introduced in the first place cynics may feel that a certain amount of lobbying has taken place to remove this cost and bother form these companies as it makes no difference to me because I still need to install new circuits, consumer units and work in special locations.

Yep, another week gone.

In any event, as we now know, the OP interpreted my first post 'as I had intended', anyway!
I did think that just as ambiguous as the rest of the posts.

Obviously, because you qualified your first answer, it was presumably not as you intended and we do not know from sergeantash's statement how he interpreted what he thought you intended. :mrgreen:

To clarify :D NO electrical work is now notifiable because it is in a kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back