Toilet blockage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet (recently replaced), when the flush button is pressed, will fill with water and the water level in the bowl rises with the level then dropping slowly and the 'contents' not disappearing effectively (quite nicely put I thought).

How can I tell what is the problem (seems to be a partial blockage) and resolve it?

I've tried a hosepipe but it only gets so far (I guess it wont go round one of the bends).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I tried that but couldn't shift the lid!

What's the best tool (DIY type from my garage) to lift it?

depends what type of lid is it just a metal cover. then useally a big flat screwdriver down the lip.
or is it a drain thats in a block paved drive etc ? they can be a pig to get out.

Sponsored Links
Big flat screwdriver and a claw hammer

The first one I tried was a massively heavy cast iron, 4 inches deep bugger. Eventually got it off to find it's the wrong one.

Tried another (concrete) one nearer the house - easier but still not the right one. Wife flushed toilet and nothing came along the pipe.

Will try a third but it's under a fence so requires a bit more work.

Strangely, most (if not all) of the houses in the street have a manhole in front of their door, we have a rockery.

Not looking forward to the next reply!!

Try this first : Let the water drain from the toilet, then fill a bucket with water and lash it down the pan from as high as you can, if it works (done it loads of times) flush a few more times before putting any solids down it.

This might be the dreaded reply, but is there the possibility of a manhole under the rockery?? Also is this a ground or first floor W.C. ?

Have you an obliging neighbour who would let you observe their manhole outside the front door whilst they flush the loo? It may help you determine if the manhole near the door is relevant. If so, you may need to look under that rockery..... I'd try a garden fork or similar, see if it hits any resistance. (If lucky it might be the cover. If not a then a large stone......)

A good idea and I'll try it.

A thought. I built some decking at the back of the house a couple of years ago and seem to remember building it over a manhole cover (cement one by the back door).

How likely is it that this cloakroom toilet (at the front of the house) feeds into the manhole cover at the back door? Our en-suite is at the rear of the house.

Tut tut, covering a manhole..... Never know when you might need to access it! (Like now. ;) )

There's a chance the toilet at the front runs under the house, to join the sewer at the rear. No hard and fast rule, depends on drainage layout, but to run a sewer across the back and front requires twice the pipework and excavation. Its not unknown, but it would be worth checking the manhole at the rear. Is the ensuite original or a later addition?

Thanks for all the input guys. Sorted.

there was another manhole at the front of the house, on the other side which we share with a neighbour (manholes galore here!)

Got some rods, taped the hosepipe to it, kept feeding it in and, hey presto, bucketloads of poo came galloping down the drain.

Now all clear and toilets flushing as they ought to.

Thanks again.

Now need a lie down to avoid chundering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back