Toilet constantly getting clogged?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our toilet keeps getting clogged and I'm not sure what to do about it. First all we're not putting anything down there that isn't supposed to be there. It seems like stuff isn't going around the u bend, sometimes we'll flush and it seems all clear only to later go in and find stuff back in the bottom of the bowl. When it gets clogged the bowl fills with water and I've been using a Luigi plunger to clean it out again. It does a great job but this has happened three times now and it's not practical.
We live in a block of flats and I'm worried the water pressure has something to do with it. The builders that originally put it in screwed everything else up in the flat so I wouldn't be surprised if they messed this up too. Wanted to check if it was anything I could fix or repair on my own before calling in a Plummer.

Sponsored Links
Speak to the Freeholder I assume being a flat it is Leasehold, they should deal with shared services like soil pipes and drains.

Or maybe all your neighbours has gone trendy Vegan / Veggie and the drains can't cope!;)

Try filling the basin and bath then letting them run and see if the toilet level changes it might give a clue to what is happening.

You should not listen to what Donald Trump says. Keep flushing toiler 10 times, 15 even

Is it one of those old syphonic toilets?

Or could the seal on the pan connector be wonky?

Sponsored Links
it will not be water pressure, because the WC has a cistern that fills up with water ready for you to flush.

You may have got a modern low-water WC that is of poor design; or you may have a worn-out syphon, or the water level in the cistern may be too low. Take the lid off and photgraph what's inside. Look at the "water level" indicator line on the inside back wall of the cister. Is that where the actual water level is?

Also photo the pan, from above and the side.

When you flush it, how much water remains in the cistern?

Is there a flexible plastic soil pipe?

I had a loo a bit like this in previous house. Poo didn't come back, but would not flush away always as the waste pipe was not level and the water would just get thrown back.

Water pressure will be irrelevant in this instance, worst case scenario, the cistern will take ages to fill. Problem is going to lie with either the WC itself or the outlet pipework. The modern 6/7 litre flush pans have never been as good as the original 9 litre types, and will the cistern sitting on top of the pan, the power isn't always there to clear the pan on the first flush.

Secondly, if the pan is badly fitted, or the soil pipe doesn't fall away from the pan correctly, then you are effectively trying to defy the laws of physics, and ask sh*t to run uphill. Photo of your setup and the outlet pipework may help with a diagnosis.

You might get away with raising the water level a bit the overflow is often adjustable for height, water normally sits about an inch lower than the outlet. as long as you are in no danger of getting water to the rim or any openings in the side of the cistern you may be able to raise the overflow pipe and the water level also.

Thanks for the reply all! Unfortunately it does seem like it's 6 litre flush. Couldn't see a water line inside it anywhere tho. Here are the photos

https://ibb.co/7bfZXVJ
The outlet is not good - you have an offset connector -needed- stuffed into a straight pan connector-not needed= reduced diameter. I know flexi's get a bad name but maybe that would be better. Or you need to bring the 110mm plastic soil pipe forward with a new piece going straight onto the offset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back