Toilet fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting a new close coupled toilet, as well as fixing a wooden batten behind the cistern onto the wall (if the wc is larger / wider than the old one) are there any other ways? I fixed a wooden batten to the wall behind my new one and it looks ok, neat, but i wondered if there were any better ways for in the future??

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to achieve - are you filling a gap with the timber or just providing a support for the cistern?
John :)

just filling the gap between the cistern and wall. Cutting the old soil pipe may be tricky and it could split and that would be a big job to fix wouldn't it??

Cutting the old soil pipe may be tricky and it could split and that would be a big job to fix wouldn't it??

Not that difficult to cut. Depends if you want your new toilet half way out into the room or not.

Sponsored Links
It's about an inch from the wall. I've seena few fitted like this before. WHat's the best way/tool to use to squarely cut the soil pipe, as there isn't much to play with.

ok i will have to decide, if i did crack the soil pipe (plastic and old) what would that mean?? hard to repair??

So you're saying the soil pipe that the toilet connects to is plastic?

A sharp wood saw will do then. If you manage to crack it in the process you should leave the diy to the missus!

You can buy a pan connector that doubles back on itself....shaped a bit like a question mark (?)
This may give you the movement you need.
John :)

ok thanks for your help all. I just wondered what the odds were in this cold weather especially, of the soil pipe Cracking when sawing it!!!

You can buy a pan connector that doubles back on itself....shaped a bit like a question mark

Only going to be of use if your soil pipe is at 90 dgrees to the pan though.

soil pipe out of wall straight, at slight drop angle downwards (of course). so am safe to cut plastic stack pipe without risk of it splitting/cracking!!??

so am safe to cut plastic stack pipe without risk of it splitting/cracking!!??

Yes. Unless you are very clumsy and built like a gorilla, the risk of splitting the plastic soil pipe is virtually non-existent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back