Toilet flush doesnt seem to have much suction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok chaps.
The toilet in my bathroom seemed to have a bit of a weak flush so I replaced the ballcock and valve that controls refilling...

But I went away working for a couple of months and since I have come back (got two other people living in the house) the flush seems to have got pretty weak again?

Not sure if someone has been dropping big bombs down there :LOL: but it sure isnt me.
It seems like the suction isnt there to pull the waste out of the toilet bowl effectively :?:
Plenty of water seems to be being flushed in...but waste (even toilet paper) doesnt seem to flush very well?

Any ideas what it could be? i had a vague recollection that there is a hole somewhere down past the toilet mouth that can get blocked with debris and cause the toilet to lose suction??

Am I way off course with that thought please?!

The toilet is a normal old style toilet with lever handle if that helps anyone to help me? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If the water is coming out the cistern as normal but, the level in the bowl is going up, I'd guess you've got a blockage. Not a full blockage but, a restriction.

Are you sure that it isn't a syphonic toilet? They're the only ones that suck!

If the water is coming out the cistern as normal but, the level in the bowl is going up, I'd guess you've got a blockage. Not a full blockage but, a restriction.

Thanks for the input. Whats the best way to try and remove a potential blockage from the toilet waste pipes then? Is there a dyno rod like contraption available for this purpose?!

Chris Hutt said:
Are you sure that it isn't a syphonic toilet? They're the only ones that suck

Sorry Chris.... my poor explanation to blame here :confused:
If it is a syphonic toilet, would it have two traps, so when its initially flushed the "second" trap starts first, and this sucks the first trap thus making it a syphonic?

if so, I dont 'think' this is one?!!!!! so my description of suction may have been misleading!!

What I meant to say was....the flush doesnt seem to have any guts to it, even though plenty of water seems to be being flushed into the toilet bowl!!
Wondering if there was maybe some kind of blockage along the way?

Sponsored Links
I think I know what you mean. It's a long time since I opened a toilet cistern so they might be designed completely differently now. Anyway when this happened to me, it turned out there was a tear in this sort of diaphragm of plastic that is meant to lift the water up when you press the handle. It lifts some water, spills it over into the pipe leading to the toilet, then syphonage brings the rest of the water after it. It sounds like you're getting enough water lifted to start the rest of the water syphoning, but your're aware that not as much water is being lifted initially as usual - you don't feel the drag on the handle when you pull it down. Is that it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back