Toilet on top?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I seem to remember already seeing a topic about this, but I can't find it now...

If I were to lay porcelain tiles in my bathroom, could the toilet go on top of them, so that I don't have to cut a curve in the tiles?

Oh, and the sink.

It would be on ply.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't put a toilet on top of ceramic tiles unless I was absolutely sure that the bottom face of the toilet and the surface of the floor below was 100% level (ie no small pimples to act as pressure points on the tiles). The tile adhesive is also an unknown factor.

This is what I would do: I would get some wood sheeting slightly thicker than the tiles and make a base for the WC bowl slightly smaller (say 10mm all round the edge, depending on the design of the base of the bowl). This wood sheet must be capable of taking all of the weight of the wc and the occupant without compressing down to the height of the surrounding tiles. I would screw the wc to the floor through the wooden base. The floor tiles can be cut approximately to size, such that the excess portions of the tiles go under the edge of the bowl up to the edge of the wood (but the bowl will never push down onto them). A very small bead of silicon sealant will hide the air gap, allow for slight movement and prevent any fluid ingress under the wc. It might be useful to do all the woodwork and tiling before finally fixing the wc in position.

Sponsored Links
lol well i have asked for advice before and g- col i suppose you were right. then. but the thing is i run my own business and i always end up in situations were there somthing iv not done before. but i do read up on it whatever ask advice but i do it. and so far iv never had any comebacks on anyjobs. i actually dont leave untill the clients r happy i only work by a word of mouth basis to ensure people trust me for the work. (theres nothing worse than distrusting cleints)

but anyways to the point i do everything full installs and fitting toilets on to tiles.

easy as long as the jobs done right. eg. properlly spread and layed there should be no problem with the tiles.

you should always try to lay a floor flat unless theres a drain on it.

even though only had to do this once but even by packing the toilet up wich ever end needs it. and then siliconing round the toliet. there should never be a problem.

or else i would know about it.

sorry to sound arrogant but ppl love my work

hi jon. Yes take tiles underneath. When kev says level im sure he means flat and smooth. If they are you can slap straight on top.

kevnurse said:
I wouldn't put a toilet on top of ceramic tiles unless I was absolutely sure that the bottom face of the toilet and the surface of the floor below was 100% level (ie no small pimples to act as pressure points on the tiles). The tile adhesive is also an unknown factor.

This is what I would do: I would get some wood sheeting slightly thicker than the tiles and make a base for the WC bowl slightly smaller (say 10mm all round the edge, depending on the design of the base of the bowl). This wood sheet must be capable of taking all of the weight of the wc and the occupant without compressing down to the height of the surrounding tiles. I would screw the wc to the floor through the wooden base. The floor tiles can be cut approximately to size, such that the excess portions of the tiles go under the edge of the bowl up to the edge of the wood (but the bowl will never push down onto them). A very small bead of silicon sealant will hide the air gap, allow for slight movement and prevent any fluid ingress under the wc. It might be useful to do all the woodwork and tiling before finally fixing the wc in position.

get real!

Nothing wrong with installing a wc ontop of tiles is there? That's what I was going to do, but decided not to because I'm no longer installing the wc! It's not a bad idea, but I think that tiles are perfectly capable of taking extreme weight, such as our washing machine :D. That idea would come in useful for a wc occupant who is a good few stone too heavy :LOL:.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back