Toilet Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ALL.

Looking for some advice., I have 2 toilets , one upstairs which is workign ok, one downstairs which is in the outback building and its this one which has a problem.

When you do a normal flush the water level in the bowl is fine and stays teh same, however when you flush solid waste the water level goes down and you can hear a 'sucking' sound, I have to pour water in the bowl to make the level rise again.

The water level does NOT go down over time and stays the same.

Just need some pointers as what the problem could be.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you cant find the drain covers try a plunger in the pan, it dosent sound like its totally blocked (YET)

Hopefully it dosent connect up to the Interior WC.

Sponsored Links
As pointed out you probably don't have a fully blocked sewer yet. The likely partial blockage means than when solids pass or try to pass the obstruction the rest of the pipe gets blocked as it pass's though. This causes self syphonage and sucks the water out of the pans trap.

It's time to rod the drain!

Thnaks for the replies.

I have managed to unblock a trap in a toilet but rodding may be beyond me, how about 3 doses of caustic soda before I call a plumber?

Thnaks for the replies.

I have managed to unblock a trap in a toilet but rodding may be beyond me, how about 3 doses of caustic soda before I call a plumber?

Limit effect with a blockage.
Have you still got this blockage ?
First job---Have a look outside , do you any drain covers ?
Is your bath draining to this pipe ? if you have it part cleared a bath full of water may move it through.

should have asked this first :
are you in detached or semi
if semi then speak with them see if they have the same problem.

How old is your property?
somebody will help me here is it 1932 sec 32 or older if so water company may clear for free, maybe worth a phone call.

Have anybody put down a disposable nappy or !!! Have to ask

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back