toilet wont stop running!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all my fabulous DIY pals:cool:

those of you who know me will remember I dont actually know how to do ANYTHING!!! :cry:

so please HLEP ME!!!! :( :(

I have a cistern that after flushing starts to run again and wont stop for about half an hour!! :rolleyes:

I have tried pressing the button on the top a few times and sometimes it will stop but now it wont at all!! :confused:

its driving me nuts!!! :cry:

can someone tell me how to fix it please :)

Im pretty good at fixing things if I know how....But I just dont know how!

thank you soooooooooooooooooooooo much ;)

Jelly x

Sponsored Links
First of all, pop the lid off the top of the cistern. There are usually two main pieces inside. The flush valve (connected to the flush handle / button) and the fill valve (connected to the water supply).

Watch the fill valve as you flush the cistern.

The float should drop as the cistern empties, opening the fill valve. It should rise again as the cistern re-fills, and shut the valve before the water level reaches the overflow standpipe (part of the flush valve).

If the float jams or is out of adjustment, the fill valve won't close, and the excess water runs down the internal overflow into the pan.

If lifting the float by hand closes the fill valve cleanly, try adjusting the float level to close the valve earlier.

If the fill valve continues to run even with the float raised, it's probably time to overhaul or replace the fill valve.

ahhhh tickly

there appears to be another problem!! I cant lift the lid!

I have tried turning the outer ring that is around the two buttons but nothing is happening

dont think I am going to be able to do this one myself am I :rolleyes:

Push one button down and put a small screw driver and lift the other button up and then pull out the first button. Then you should find a large white screw that needs to be undone. Then like magic the lid will come off.

Andy

Sponsored Links
okey dokey!

will give it a try in the morning cos if I get it wrong I dont want to be stuck all night waiting for an emergency plumber lol lol

will report back tomorrow!!

thanks andy x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back