Tongue and groove panelling in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope that someone can offer some information and advice - and apologies if this is in the wrong forum

We're renovating the house, and we're currently focussing on the bathroom. We'll have a free standing roll top bath, and like the idea of T&G panelling around the walls, to a height of a around a metre. Not being expert DIYers, we've the following options:
1.) MDF T&G panels from Wickes/B&Q. I've read that this is not a good idea for a bathroom

2.) pre cut T&G panelling, treat the timber (waterproof) then fix to batons.

3.) Buy the timber, a router and some cutters, make the T&G myself. This option scares me.

basically, has anyone been down the same or similar route? If not, any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

:t:

Sponsored Links
Provided the MDF is moisture resistant(green) then it will be OK in a bathroom, it will also be a lot more stable than softwood which will tend to move a lot more cracking the paint between boards. I've done several with MR MDF and not had any problems. Paint with an oil based paint.

You could make your own but its a lot of work and would be no better than off the shelf T&G unless you wanted it in hardwood.

Jason

We have lots of Tand G round our new house, its not very stable at all, in winter with heating on it craks and groans (like a wooden boat)... id use water resistant MDF if you want the look, but paint it back and front before you put it up to keep out water.

i have lots of txg round my house [luckily i have a silent variety :LOL: ]

order the txg from your wood yard ask for 70 x1m ex 4"x1/2[covers 89mm and finnishes 9mm thick]or how ever many lengths you need [cut to length]
ask for battons 2" wide by however thick your skirting is by twice the length[plus 10% for waste in battons and cladding]

place the top of the top batton 1010mm from the floor in a strait line with a further batton half way to the skirting
blind nail in place with the top of the cladding in line with the batton add a piece of 9mm quad to the front edge flat side up mould the front edge off a piece of 3x1" glue and screw to the top to finnish
fit new skirting on the bottom

paint varnish the back off the txg before fitting

Sponsored Links
just thought i would add for clarity the skirting forms the bottom batton

blind nail in the tounge avoiding the 40mm at the end off the tounge if you can help it
if you use a 70mm shelf in my suggestion and its at a corner use buiscuts dowels or brackets to tie the two legs together they will then support each other then the shelf on top will easily support your toiletries and you can increase it to 4by1 [95mm] wide as the support underneath is 15mm batton +9mm txg +9mm quad=33mm

clear as mud eeehh :LOL:

big-all said:
i have lots of txg round my house [luckily i have a silent variety :LOL: ]

theres a local shop that knocks out really cheep Tand G its more like balsa wood.

sidecar_jon said:
We have lots of Tand G round our new house, its not very stable at all, in winter with heating on it craks and groans (like A Watsonian Double-Adult pulled by a Panther ;)

Nige F said:
sidecar_jon said:
We have lots of Tand G round our new house, its not very stable at all, in winter with heating on it craks and groans (like A Watsonian Double-Adult pulled by a Panther ;)

ah if only... had the chance two years ago £900..bargin, but didnt....

I know this is an old post but if anyone is thinking of doing this we did it to great effect. The MDF waterproof panelling works best, attach to a baton framework. Doesnt matter about any tiles underneath. If you have a free standing bath then the best height for the panelling is about waist height (tall persons waist). Finish off the top with a thick bull nose peice of MDF all the way around that overhanges the MDF panel by an inch. Put some really big skirting down all round to give the old style effect of a bath in a room rather than a bathroom if you know what i mean.

Breezer, not sure what I did wrong here. Was just offering advice on an old topic for the benefit of other members. I didnt post a query.

Have included a pic of our bathroom if it helps anyone else with ideas.

knightrider - you are in good company for doing what you did. Many folks when they discover this Forum are usually impressed by what they've found and want to contribute but they miss the original posting date (even some of the 'old hands' here have been caught out); also, 'cos they're keen to read the posts, they don't get around to reading the rules before they post. It takes time to understand the etiquette. Don't worry, you haven't offended or upset anybody (well me at least) - you are welcome here.

knightrider - you are in good company for doing what you did. Many folks when they discover this Forum are usually impressed by what they've found and want to contribute but they miss the original posting date (even some of the 'old hands' here have been caught out); also, 'cos they're keen to read the posts, they don't get around to reading the rules before they post. It takes time to understand the etiquette. Don't worry, you haven't offended or upset anybody (well me at least) - you are welcome here.

yep i fully agree with symptoms you have done nowt wrong welcome by the way :D :D

breezer is also being freindly in his own way whilst pointing out the forum "SMALL PRINT" ;)

Have included a pic of our bathroom if it helps anyone else with ideas.

of course you did.

Any pictures you really do post will be a complete waste of time. No, please allow me to explain.

The post you hi-jacked was made over 2 years ago tapir who started this thread, posts infrequently, and has not looked in on this old post you hi-jacked because it is of no longer any interest ( i guess)

Any one can view these posts with out having to sign up, so anyone can read away to their heart's content. How ever any pictures you post will be of no use because

a) you have not posted a picture

b) if you do manage to get a picture posted, by the time some one does see it you will not be with the forum to assit with any questions regarding said picture and they will be hi-jacking the post any way

Breezer forgot to say "welcome to the site" :rolleyes:

may i respectfully suggest in the grand sceme of things the "old posting rule" is no more than a minor irritation to most

i personaly can see no problem in adding somthing up to date and constructive to an old thread
after all when you use the search facility it chooses any relivent thread not just new ones
so there is somthing to be said about "updating "old post with new information that may save several "browsers" looking for information having to ask a new question as the updated thread now contains all the information!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back