Tonight's challenge - help me get my electricity back on!

Sponsored Links
You can get GE mcbs from toolstation online you need a 32 A TYPE B BSEN 60898 MCB. Be very careful working in the CU even when the main switch is off the tails going into the top of it are still live. Unless the DNO have provided you with an isolator switch after the meter.

It's best to stick to one manufacturer, but if it is of the same rating, the busbar fits tightly in the bottom terminal and the MCB fits onto the DIN rail then there is no reason why you can't use it.

streetlighter said:
You can get GE mcbs from toolstation online you need a 32 A TYPE B BSEN 60898 MCB. Be very careful working in the CU even when the main switch is off the tails going into the top of it are still live. Unless the DNO have provided you with an isolator switch after the meter.

So the red wires going into the top of the MCB are live??? Even when the RCD is off?

Simon

Sponsored Links
No, the main tails coming from the meter and the top terminals of the main switch are still live even after the main switch has been opened.

cu3.jpg

It didn't fit brilliantly but it's not loose (I guess it will do until I get an exact replacement).

. . . and the best news is it's working!!!!!!

I'm really chuffed with the help I've gotten on here - I rang half-a-dozen electricians from the yellow pages yesterday and not one of them would come out.

I've saved myself a fortune, learnt loads and stayed alive too!!!

Thanks again all.

Simon

That MCB looks a bit shorter at the bottom than the others.Just double check (with the main switch off!) that enough of the copper busbar prong is in the bottom terminal of the breaker ;)

Other than that well done :D

I havent seen much GE stuff in a long while now. I seem to recall ordering one from City Electrical Factors a few years back though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back