Too much tape?

Sponsored Links
I have never had a claim relating to any of my own plumbing work. I have never had a PTFE-taped joint leak.

You are boring.

Kindly go forth and multiply. :LOL:

Because I was surprised by what you wrote

Well in that case, could I respectfully suggest that, before posting, you:

a) Re-read your post and, where necessary, change your tone

b) Check your question - it took one google search to find a whole list answers to your question.

Plenty of insurers don't cover inept DIYers

have you seen a policy that excludes cover for plumbing that has PTFE tape on the olives?

That's my question.

If we strip out the argumentative content and name-calling, Dan's answer is "no"

You personally might or might not like PTFE tape on olives, but that is not relevant to the terms of the policy.

Google doesn't help.

Sponsored Links
You get a lot of insurance assessors trying to reject claims for spurious reasons because they have targets to reach . The insurers have the final decision and they'd normally cave in if challenged or threatened with a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman . Something like this PTFE tape issue wouldn't be grounds to reject a claim but if you did something stupid and deliberate to cause damage you might find your claim rejected

Its not something I've come across before, I must admit, but then again, the only water damage claim I've ever made was for a relatively small amount, and the insurer didn't come anywhere near the property before authorising payment.

I'd be interested to know whether insurers are bound by any code of practice (other than further reference to the Ombudsman) which requires them to prove that the householder, or someone contracted by them, was responsible for the shoddy workmanship that led to the claim; or whether they refuse claims based on suspicion, employing the assumption that most claimants will not take the matter further.

Best go round the property and remove any tape, just in case, even though the vast majority of the plumbing work in this house was done by the previous occupier.

have you seen a policy that excludes cover for plumbing that has PTFE tape on the olives?

That's my question.

You seriously expect a policy to list exclusions to that level?

The message is simple - as I posted links earlier.

Do not assume that damage caused by DIY is covered.

If defective workmanship is the cause of a claim then the insurer may well reject the claim or, in the event that the defect was caused by a third party, go after the third party.

Again, why should an insurer pay out because incompetent work has caused damage?

Insurance policies cover water damage caused by leaks. Mine does.

My policy has a list of specific exclusions that they do not cover. It doesn't mention what you say. The policy is the definitive statement of what is covered and what isn't.

I would be interested if anyone can find a household policy that does exclude damage resulting from leaking joints that were put in by a householder and/or had PTFE tape on the olives. It would be even more interesting to see how they decide which leaks to cover and which not. I haven't found any policy terms that do it. Have you?

I will confess that as I look at the issue, it seems to me to be a scare story put about by people who don't like PTFE tape or DIYing householders. If I can be proved mistaken I will apologise. The policy is the definitive statement of what is covered and what isn't, so other opinions don't cut it.

With respect, this is tiresome and probably better suited to GD rather than a specific subject forum.

I'm very pleased for you that your policy covers acts of stupidity.

I've already given you a quote from an insurance comparison website and at least two other insurers who only offer DIY accidents as an option.

Read the IDY disaster section on the this link
http://www.policyexpert.co.uk/insur...reasons-why-your-home-insurance-wont-pay-out/
or the same section here
http://www.columbusdirect.com/content/make-sure-your-home-insurance-claim-doesnt-get-rejected/
or the relevant section here
http://www.diyadviceonline.co.uk/category/home-insurance/

If you're convinced that you're correct then so be it.

As a closing statement from me

Putting PTFE on a new compression joint is amateur, adds nothing to the joint and can make the joint worse. PTFE is used where the threads form the seal - that's what is made for and that is where it should be used. If you wish to put tape on where it's not necessary then carry on.

I've already given you a quote from an insurance comparison website and at least two other insurers who only offer DIY accidents as an option.

However you have not shown me, nor do you appear to have seen, yourself, a household insurance policy which has an exclusion of cover for damage resulting from leaks attributed to plumbing work done by a DIY householder and/or using PTFE on the olives.

Why are you convinced that such policies exist?

What do you think the previous links explain?

If you do DIY and as a result cause damage to the property then you may not be covered.

Which part of that statement and the attached links to two insurers and a variety of insurance websites are you finding it difficult to understand?

The links do not show Policy Terms specifying such exclusions, which is the only thing that counts. They do not even mention or refer to such things.

The references to DIY damage and Accidental Damage do not mention anything like water damage caused by plumbing leaks. Only:

"Contents Accidental Damage Cover to provide financial protection for accidental mishaps in the home, such as spillages staining carpets and accidentally dropping an ornament whilst dusting."

and

"But if you do feel inspired to undertake a major house renovation or are planning an extension to your home, you should speak to your home insurer before you start work.

“Often insurers will need to include specific exclusions or conditions on your policy during the build phase if there is likely to be scaffolding erected or walls and doors are being temporarily removed. Renovation projects, particularly those that involve the installation of a new kitchen or bathroom, or the building of an extension, also usually increase the property’s rebuild cost, whilst the addition of new furniture, household appliances and furnishings may push-up the value of your contents. So your insurer may want to review your sum insured, as well as making sure your renovation plans don’t invalidate your cover.”

I suggest you read the links I posted earlier carefully

You are either a pedant, a troll, a prat or, quite possibly, all three.

Save this type of rubbish for GD

With great respect I think this discussion belongs exactly where it is, because any householder looking for guidance on carrying out DIY plumbing is more likely to come to this part of the forum than to GD; and by doing the latter may risk missing the valuable information contained within this thread.

I've checked my own policy and the only relevant reference I can find is to a general comment about keeping the property in good order, although this doesn't of course prevent insurers from being guided by other considerations which are not detailed in the policy wording, but which can still be invoked for the purpose of refusing claims.

I will confess that as I look at the issue, it seems to me to be a scare story put about by people who don't like PTFE tape or DIYing householders. If I can be proved mistaken I will apologise. The policy is the definitive statement of what is covered and what isn't, so other opinions don't cut it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back