Too much tape?

I've just seen a comment on another thread where the poster observes that using PTFE demonstrates a lack of confidence. I think this is correct, and that if, like me, you only do occasional plumbing you will tend to go for overkill in order to ensure a leak proof joint, rather than trusting the constituent parts of the joint as supplied by the shop.

Just to finish, would I be correct in saying that if one lacks the confidence to trust compression of the olive alone, then a turn of tape around the olive and some jointing compound on the thread is acceptable?

Sponsored Links
I worked 40 years in insurance and stand by my comments above . If you drive your car into a post ,would you expect your comprehensive motor insurers to reject the claim on the grounds that you were careless ? Where's the difference in water damage caused by supposedly dodgy DIY ? The use of PTFE tape is a bit like using gasket sealant on gaskets and we've had arguments about that on classic car forums - some do, some don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back