Tool selection, jointer or thicknesser?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to make my life a whole lot easier and shell out on either of the above. Basically i would love some thoughts and or experiences of these tools in comparison to each other and also specifics on good models/ makers.

I do a fair bit of woodwork and make some furniture and i am tired of squaring rough sawn hardwood by hand. I generally want a tool for planing a straight face & edge. The thicknessing is not a necessity but the extra functionality would be handy, but when i imagine a jointer with a wide blade surely this will perform the same function??

What should i be considering etc? I am looking to spend up to £300 or so and 4/5 hours use a month is probably a fair guess.

Please discuss. ( Thanks for your wisdom)

Sponsored Links
you need both to fully square wood to the correct size!!!

plane flat the face
plane flat the face edge by holding the face square on the fence

plane to width through the thicknesser by running on the face edge
plane to thickness by running on the face

support work on and off the rollers to prevent steps

allow an extra foot or so on the wood length to allow for steps when thicknessing :D ;)

A jointer or planer will give you one flat faceside which is then run against the fence to give a flat faceedge. You then need a thicknesser to make the other two sides parallel to the ones already machined, if you try to do it all on a jointer you will have 4 flat faces but the boards are likely to be tapered.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back