Tool to find live wires / pipes before drilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to move a light fitting so it's over my table (currently all lights are screwed into joists which are in odd places). I'd like to do this by installing a hook with a plasterboard fixing and 'swagging' the pendant.

However these tend to be quite long and I am concerned about screwing into something bad like a water pipe or live wire. I went to buy a detector (would come in handy for other projects)
but these get pretty terrible reviews, even the £100 ones.

What do professionals use?

Sponsored Links
The Zircon i700 gets ok reviews. Hilti make some detector stuff that I'd imagine is somewhat reliable as do Bosch.

Fact is, none are 100% accurate and you'll need deep pockets to have enough of a selection of detectors to eliminate any false flags.

Can't beat the old fashioned way of first hand inspection.

What do professionals use?
Nothing, because all of these detector devices either fail to detect what they should, give false readings when nothing is there, or both.

If screwing into a joist from below, virtually all of the wires/cables will either be near the centre of the joist or at the top so putting a screw through any of them is exceptionally unlikely.

Sponsored Links

patrick.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back