Tool to remove skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got to remove 2pieces of skirting from a room and then hopefully refit at a later date. One is on a plastered solid wall and the other is on a PB dry lined wall.

What's the best hand tool for the job in order to try and remove them the whilst trying to keep the wall and boards in best condition?

The I ask is that when I've used what I've got (hammer and bolster) I always seem to damage things too much!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want to re-use [though better to replace] then helps if you can locate the fixings , screw should be removed, if nailed then ease with bolster to locate nail and then hammer back to wall adjacent to the nail which should if you are lucky leave the nail head proud so you can remove.
If it's been glued then you are screwed. ;)

The existing skirting could be screwed, nailed (brad nails) or glued, In all cases it will be difficult to remove without damaging the walls - particularly the dry lined wall. It's likely that the board will 'give' rather than the skirting, resulting in holes. Any screws will no doubt have been filled and painted over.

On the solid wall cut along th join with a stanley knife so that the paint doesn't pull off the wall. Tap a large screwdriver down the back with a hammer untill you can get a crow bar behind it then ease it off moving along a bit at a time (two crow bars would be useful). Try to lever where the fixings are. It is still likely that the board will split though.

I normally just rip the skirting off then replace with a slightly larger one.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant! Thanks for that guys. I ended up getting a crow bar (aka wrecking bar) and managed to get it off pretty well. Like you said, it's the walls you've got to watch but replacing it with a taller skirting board will be the answer there! lol!!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back