Toolbox vs Toolbag vs Tote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a new storage solution as I've outgrown my current hard-plastic toolbox. I've come across this Stanley Xtreme Open Tote Tool Bag which looks incredible and has very good reviews on Amazon UK. However I have never seen or used a Tote before and have no idea what it's like in the real world.

I've also never used a bag but do note its popularity. Any comments on the tote and what your preferred storage solution is?

Sponsored Links
I'd go with a tote if you can constantly keep an eye on your tools, if not, go with a bag.

All those tools on display in a tote may encourage unauthorised borrowing etc on site.

I have a tool bag, and would never go back to a tool box now. It is great with all those pockets, so you know just where everything is, and don't often have to go digging around in the bottom of a toolbox. It is also easy to spot if you have left a tool somewhere when you are packing up.

The shoulder strap is good if you have a bit of a walk from the van to site.

I got a Tote as my main tools holder. Its perfect, Its a real long one with loads of pockets, each tool has its place, no more rooting round the bottom of the tool box for that screwdriver!

Ive had loads of really expensive well know make plastic boxes and they all break after a short period of time. The handles fall off the hinges snap and the lids dont shut.
Im using my old DeWalt toolbag currently and its alright but i find my tools get mixed up in there and i cannot easily find what i need to hand.
Did have a Irwin tool tote and it was good until the handle got crimped in the van and snapped off after a while.
I have a couple of toolboxes on the van full of spare tools and not often required tools i find this works for me.

Sponsored Links
Parat make the best toolcase's, not cheap but worth every penny.

Toolbag every time. In fact I have two. One for the tools I use everyday and one kept in the van for the tools that I need on odd occasions. In my opinion Totes are only good if you need to carry on a few tools and boxes are only good for fixtures and fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back