tools for light furniture diy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I fancy trying my hand at making some general country style kitchen furniture. And general light furniture for around the house. I generally use a hand saw , standard screw drivers and combi drill for my DIY but I think a circular saw and cordless drill driver would be useful. Up to £70/£80 range, a bit more would be possible but the choice is massive.
I quite liked the look of a Bosch 10V pro drill driver ( maybe expensive?)

Any recommendations or experience with this D/driver?

Also, anyone had experience of the Kreg jig range? I thought it looked pretty useful for the diy I have in mind.

Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
I have always found whatever the power tool I buy I wish I had bought the next model up.The bigger the blade the more uses you can find for a cutting tool, likewise the more powerfull the drill the more versatile.
Furniture is much easier if you have other tools like the router, sds drill with hammer stop, table saw etc.
Thinking of only light use is like buying a toffee hammer because you only intend to use small nails.

yep router 100% chopsaw 100%
and table or track saw [very soon ]
bosch 10.8v brilliant kit but a comby drill will do for now

are you trying to make money or refurb your house ??

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Basically we have a large kitchen with fitted oak wall and floor cabinets. There is plenty more wall space so I thought I would try and put together some storage space with shelves and some open units. The bedrooms are short of storage space so perhaps putting together some built in wardrobes in the main bedroom. And more storage units in the other bedrooms.

I've renovated in the past with fitting kitchens and bathrooms e.t.c. so I have a general stock of tools.

My first step is to put together a good sized work bench in the shed. There are worktops in there but a good flat table would be good.

I have both wired and cordless dual drills but would really like a portable lighter drill driver. And I would like a little less elbow work and a neater finish that an electric saw can give me. I already have a wired jigsaw. I never thought about a router.

I thought a kreg jig would give me a good option when it comes to joints rather than struggling with doves or pins and screws?

Sponsored Links
The Bosch 10.8v drill driver is excellent and at least as powerful as the 18v makitas you see on the front cover of screwfix at about £150, as well as being lighter.

Hi, I can see why you guys are recommending a router but I'm a bit away from that. Everything I have in mind at the moment are just straight forward pieces. But I do need a circular saw and driver to get me started.

I now see that the Bosch 10.8 is over £100 with the batteries! I was looking at bare units and thought the price was reasonable.

Hi, I can see why you guys are recommending a router but I'm a bit away from that. Everything I have in mind at the moment are just straight forward pieces. But I do need a circular saw and driver to get me started.

I now see that the Bosch 10.8 is over £100 with the batteries! I was looking at bare units and thought the price was reasonable.

The price is reasonable. They're smashing little tools.

when i am doing country style dresser the router gets used several times
on doors to mould the internal and external face edges and a rebate for the infill panel or txg cladding
side panels the same as doors but no external molding

unit backs rebate for the 6mm ply backs
the top off the base overhangs by 20mm with the same molding top and bottom edge as the door
shelve top all molded like the base top overhangs by the same 20mm and molded top and bottom edges
2 grooves on the shelves and base top iff required to hold plates in the upright position

The price is reasonable. They're smashing little tools.
yep second that with several tools to fit

what i mean is the batteries fit several tools
i have the osccilating saw
2 speed hammer drill
impact drill
2 speed drill
reciprical saw
inspection camera
angle driver
torch

Okay gotcha.

Is there a circular saw that also takes that battery?

If not do you have a circular saw recommendation?

Okay gotcha.

Is there a circular saw that also takes that battery?

If not do you have a circular saw recommendation?
no you need at least 18v to have any joy with battery circular saws

whilst monkeh is correct for good value mains saws are best
but with enough batteries [about 6 amps worth] you can keep going all day up to 20mm thick and up to 45mm thick for an hour or so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back