Toolstation IP66 Junction Box

Sponsored Links
Not sure about them ones , but Wiska boxes use similar entries, you screw a threaded thing in and it breaks through, though some of the cheap plastic glands don't have enough thread to actually do it.
Its only a thin plasticy bit, you can push a screwdriver through it first to help it along.

Will you be using brass glands permanently, not sure what others feel, but I prefer not to use them in plastic boxes, due to them being unearthed and although unlikely the cable could perish or the connections inside get wet and inadvertently liven up the gland.
Obviously Swa glands are an exception as the armoured will earth the gland.

Sponsored Links
Usual to actually "knock out" the blank rather than force it out with a fitting - the latter may strip the threads you are hoping to use after knocking out the blank. As mentioned, on some other brands, it's just a thin plastic part of the box moulding and knocks out easily.

Firstly re the above - I find best to pierce around where the hole is to be - the box I used showed where the cut-out was, but you certainly couldn't push it out without quite a bit of careful piercing and running the tip of a blade of a Stanley knife. And finally after checking if the gland will go through, I take a half-round file round to smooth it off.
Now for my problem - I have removed an old security light. There is a big IP66 junction box behind , big enough that whoever put it in cut out both hols on the bottom, and fitted them with glands - one for the cable which I have pulled out, and one empty. Which means I now have two 'open' glands. both secured inside with locknuts which means that even though they may drain water, the box will fill up to that level first. I am going to drill a drain hole,but how do I plug the two glands ? Please

Several ways ...
Find a bit of round plastic and tighten the gland down onto it.
Use a male blanking plug & nut
If it's sufficiently out of the way that there no risk of someone pushing it out and sticking a finger in, a blind grommet

Thanks, yes I knew there must be some standard item, and I was thinking of something of the sort, but couldn't think what they were called ( blind grommet ). I will surely find a couple, by asking around. Cheers. Must have been a right cowboy who fitted the two glands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back