Top Tips..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For anyone that is interested.....

When I build a raised patio or should I say, one that has a garden that falls away and requires a retaining wall, I always use the wall as a frame for the slabs rather than let the slabs over-sail the wall.
This is so that the wall can retain any awkward little cuts that would otherwise just tip off or come loose should you try and fit them to the top of the wall. Plus you don't get any differential cracking or movement. I just finish the wall with solid headers laid flat.
Our latest patio I built a curved wall and here is how I set up the radius cuts....

Sponsored Links
Did one a couple of years ago with broken riven slabs as crazy paving that was curved, but the old boy wanted the edges of the slabs really neat and smooth which took some doing with the angle grinder.

which took some doing with the angle grinder.
The slabs I'm using are only 20mm or so thick and are of a sand stone type consistency. Very easy to cut and because they are thin, they are a lot easier to cut on a radius.

I had the slabs overhanging, but using your method would have made the job a bit easier.

Sponsored Links
I had the slabs overhanging, but using your method would have made the job a bit easier.
Yeah, we live and learn. Ive been 'framing' my patios like this for a while now. Here is one we did around the corner from the one above. The neighbours actually copied the one we did previously in both walling bricks and in slabs......
The one we are doing now is just over the fence from this one.

Very easy to cut and because they are thin, they are a lot easier to cut on a radius.

Now you've gone and spoiled int Noseall, I was just about to say that it was a nice piece of work, and I was impressed with how you'd done the fillets.

But seriously, it's very nice; well done.

Now you've gone and spoiled int Noseall, I was just about to say that it was a nice piece of work
Lols.
Seriously, these slabs actually complement a diamond blade. They go through them like butter. However the slabs are seriously strong and have an extremely low failure rate. Solid bedded (obviously) - you can give then some serious rubber malleting.

Naughty naughty stacking your flags like that. What would hse say.

The difference between good pavers and bad is often just some forethought as to layout like you would when tiling. So many people come a cropper when laying to a fixed edge.

Good to see nice neat work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back