Tories Are Gone.

I agree. Partially due to Brexit.

Brexit is just a small percentage of the rise in inflation, not the sole reason as some would have us believe.
But you have repeatedly claimed that brexit hasn't been a factor at all...

Regardless of the fact that no-one has said brexit is the 'sole reason', what has changed your mindset?

Edit: Had it not been for brexit, the pound would have been at least 15% higher in value (which lowers inflation), we wouldn't have crops rotting in the field, or a lack of EU workers contributing to the economy...

So we would have possibly have been doing better than the EU average rather than being worse!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Title of the thread is wrong - they haven't gone.

But you have repeatedly claimed that brexit hasn't been a factor at all...
No I haven't. I‘ve often mentioned the EU spite dividend.

Regardless of the fact that no-one has said brexit is the 'sole reason', what has changed your mindset?
So when someone says inflation/foodbanks/whatever are "because of Brexit" without mentioning any other factors, what do you interpret that as?

Don't forget this inflation is partly due to supporting the whole country and paying 70% of their wages for two years! Such a feat in modern times is unthinkable.
Not the whole country at all. The NHS still worked (and very hard at that!), people in food retailing worked, as did people in food manufacturing, people in a lot of other manufacturing worked (partly because continuous production processes such as glass can't just be shut down and restarted, partly because some industries such as bottle production and food packaging were absolutely essential), as did the railways, as did lorry drivers, as did policemen, as did undertakers, as did abattoir workers and butchers, as did people working in the power generation industries, even as did some of the construction industry - and I'm saying that because I was one of them. Whilst the white collar workers, the "office wallahs", all went home some people in society continued to work, pay taxes, and more to the point were therefore not elligible for any sort of payment from HMG whatsoever.

Oh, and BTW, every other Western economy did the same, so this government's "achievements" aren't that special when seen in context - in fact because we shut down too late several times this government's main achievement seems to have been to reduce the population by over 140,000 by December last year

Sponsored Links
So when someone says inflation/foodbanks/whatever are "because of Brexit" without mentioning any other factors, what do you interpret that as?
Brexit makes it easier for the rich to get even richer. Tory donors/chums have never had it so good. Meanwhile Britain's food banks are as busy as ever. You don't honestly believe that if a handful of billionaires get even more obscene amounts of cash in their coffers that the poor don't ultimately have to pay?

Brexit - utter pile of poo and getting worse by the day.

Oh, and BTW, every other Western economy did the same, so this government's "achievements" aren't that special when seen in context - in fact because we shut down too late several times this government's main achievement seems to have been to reduce the population by over 140,000 by December last year
If that was ever looked at in detail I suspect they increased the economic cost. Money they spent and business losses.

Ending lock down first. Not sure that is even correct really. It wasn't an end of a lock down for one more live with covid as we still are unfortunately.

Ending lock down first. Not sure that is even correct really. It wasn't an end of a lock down for one more live with covid as we still are unfortunately.
I was actually thinking about the fact that HMG dragged their feet over going into lockdown, especially when it came to the Gold Cup meeting at Cheltenham (which was responsible for Ireland's big spike as well). Eat Out to Help Out later on didn't, though, did it - and was another spike event

No I haven't.
Yes you have...

Not because of brexit, but made worse by brexit.
Care to point out where it has been claimed that all that was solely caused by brexit?

But then you've now acknowledged that...

Better late than never! (y)

Not the whole country at all. The NHS still worked (and very hard at that!), people in food retailing worked, as did people in food manufacturing, people in a lot of other manufacturing worked (partly because continuous production processes such as glass can't just be shut down and restarted, partly because some industries such as bottle production and food packaging were absolutely essential), as did the railways, as did lorry drivers, as did policemen, as did undertakers, as did abattoir workers and butchers, as did people working in the power generation industries, even as did some of the construction industry - and I'm saying that because I was one of them. Whilst the white collar workers, the "office wallahs", all went home some people in society continued to work, pay taxes, and more to the point were therefore not elligible for any sort of payment from HMG whatsoever.

What on earth is a office wallah?

Crimea was granted independence by the USSR in 1921. Then renamed in 1936.
It became Ukranian territory in 1954.
What you are suggesting is that the UK should still own the West Indies or half of Africa.
The Nazis, followed by the Soviets invaded in WW2. Stalin deported the Ethnic Tatars and they were not able to return until the fall of the Soviet Union.
Your claims of Russian identity are not recognised by the United Nations.
I was going back to the origins of Ukraine being a part of Russian territory, after the Russo-Turk wars of the late 18th century, which began Crimean union with the Russian state. I suppose i could cite Kiev being part of the Rus state in medieval times or the founding of Novgorod by Viking traders along the Dneiper but modern Russia will claim Crimea being vital to their strategic interests in the Black Sea - just as Gibraltar is still vital to British naval interests in the Med.

I was actually thinking about the fact that HMG dragged their feet over going into lockdown, especially when it came to the Gold Cup meeting at Cheltenham (which was responsible for Ireland's big spike as well). Eat Out to Help Out later on didn't, though, did it - and was another spike event
I'm thinking more about wave heights which the modellers did mention was causing more grief than needed. The higher they are the longer they take to go away. Higher also pushes the NHS even harder. It's been noticed that this results in more deaths. Jabs were coming at some point. It all adds up. Some businesses could have been encouraged to fit shields etc to prevent spread rather than eventually realising this can help. Many still have them - fed up with staff being off sick. Looks like we are about to have another wave - answer - living with covid. Gov mustn't tell people what to do - not even suggest what they should do really.

What was Boris reported as saying. I'm not locking down even if bodies appear on the street. Essentially not taking it as seriously as needed. Shouts from the back benchers etc - do nothing. We still have them in power. Latest talk from some is reduce taxation. Upped as public services are in a mess as they just aren't collecting from as much income as they did.

people who are not relevant to the survival and success of the country were allowed to go home, walk their dogs, and potter about their allotments.

some of them are still doing it.

Brexit makes it easier for the rich to get even richer. Tory donors/chums have never had it so good. Meanwhile Britain's food banks are as busy as ever. You don't honestly believe that if a handful of billionaires get even more obscene amounts of cash in their coffers that the poor don't ultimately have to pay?

Brexit - utter pile of poo and getting worse by the day.

You could add together every Conservative brexit money maker, covid deals, etc etc etc and no doubt it would amount to an awful lot of money.

Compare it to what Gerhard Schroder has made from Russian pipeline deals and making the EU totally reliant on Russian gas, it would amount to a p155 in the ocean.

Sponsored Links
Back