Total mystery with 10.5kW shower

It's not unknown for people to say "fuse" when they've got MCBs.
True (and there are apparently lots of 'fuse boxes' full of RCDs nd MCBs :) ) - and, in any event, as I said, my comments apply equally whether it is a fuse or an MCB!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Off topic I know, but I was always trained for safety to among other things

Always go by the evidence you have until proved otherwise

Never assume anything

Always go by the evidence you have until proved otherwise ... Never assume anything
A very good principle.

Does that perhaps include not assuming than when someone says 'fuse', they mean fuse, and not MCB? (before you answer, stop and think about some of the things we see written in OPs!).

Kind Regards, John

Does that perhaps include not assuming than when someone says 'fuse', they mean fuse, and not MCB? (before you answer, stop and think about some of the things we see written in OPs!).

Yes it does and you should go forward with what you are told.
That doesn't stop you having it in the back of your mind that it could be different and having a contingency if that proves to be the case

Sponsored Links
Yes it does and you should go forward with what you are told.
That is surely a contradiction - did you perhaps omit a "not"? The 'correct' (and only 'safe') approach would surely be to ignore what you have been told by a third party and (in this case) not 'go forward' at all until you have ascertained, with your own eyes, whether it is a fuse or an MCB!

I am reminded of a question that a friend of mine says that he often poses to candidates in a the oral part of a post-grad medical exam. He asks "If the President of the Royal College of Physicians handed you an unlabelled syringe full of liquid and said 'this is Xmg of drug <whatever>; please administer it to this patient', what would you do?". I don't know if he (the examiner) always sticks to this principle, but he says that he always automatically fails any candidate who says that they would administer the drug!

Kind Regards, John

So what is a nurse supposed to do when a doctor, or hospital pharmacist, or whatever the person in charge of issuing drugs on a ward is called gives her drugs to administer to patients?

So what is a nurse supposed to do when a doctor, or hospital pharmacist, or whatever the person in charge of issuing drugs on a ward is called gives her drugs to administer to patients?
In a hospital environment, before the drug is administered, two nurses have to confirm (and 'sign for') the fact that the identity and dose of the drug as labelled on the drug or its packaging corresponds with what has been prescribed, and also that the patient is the one to whom the prescription relates. Of course, there are possible errors further up the chain (the bottle of tablets or vials of injection may have been mislabelled) - but there is obviously a limit to how far one can 'check' - and, in any event, the labelling itself will have been subject to QC.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the help. I ended up getting the wire upgraded as well as changing the fuse (or whatever it is - its in what I'd call a fuse box and I hope you all knew what meant!). New 10.5kW shower is working nicely. Really good to have all the info before making the decision though, and I've learned a lot! Cheers folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back