Total nightmare with gas pipe - any helpful advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was sold a maisonette recently that was supposed to be electric only.

Whilst doing a total refub of the place, I have uncovered an old gas pipe in the kitchen sticking up 8 inches exactly where I need my built under oven to go.

The gas pipe is live and the emergency gas man told me he is unable to cap it off at a lower level (I need it dropped 2 inches) because in order to do that he would have to unscrew the collar allowing tons of gas into the apartment - i.e. there is no isolator valve. The nearest one would be under the garden or worse still - under the road!

The whole project has come to a stand still cos of this dratted pipe - South Wales & West who are responsible for all British Gas/Transco pipes in this area have said they'll send out an assessor in about two weeks to estimate what needs doing but are also saying I will then have to pay for a two man crew to dig a hole in the road and switch off the gas from the mains in the road before being able to cap it off at a lower level. Cost: Thousands!! All for the sake of two inches!!

Can anyone help me out here?

Desperate of Wiltshire

Sponsored Links
Sorry but nope. if its a mains supply no one can touch it

Such is life

Your only get out maybe under there own regs. If gas is not used for 12 months it must be cut off to property either by screwing down house entry tee or capping in street. But if it is a shared service you may have to pay

Thanks Namsag! Sounds like a fab get out clause and I bet they wouldn't have told me!

A greatful Lady G of Wiltshire

Sponsored Links
Can't you just re-jig the unit layout?...perhaps you could have the oven at high level in a full height unit.

They may still get out of it but at least you know what they are meant to do, ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back