Total Re-wire for £1800.00 (2bed flat) is this needed?

Sponsored Links
had an idea by the name, but wasn't sure.

No building regs for you except the inferior part P.
(you can put a joiner on a 2 week course to become part P compliant)

You noticed my stuff regarding certification in Scotland, so as this doesn't apply to you you're OK.

About the second chap, seems how long is a bit of string. Are you are getting him in without written a fixed price, or job detail?

What make of stuff is he using ?

Chint consumer units come with a free fire extinguisher :eek:

Not making myself to be a saint, but after a few years doing this (i started sparking when I had hair :D ) you know the scores on the doors by looking a job within 1 minute usually.

You could use tat and save a few bob, and do a lot of donkey work and save more.

As whether a rewire is required at all, for the sake of £200-£300 you would be better getting the whole lot done if you are going to rent it out. Peace of mind and one contractor responsable for ALL the electrics.
When it boils down to it thedifference in the sum you are really talking about is £300 max.

If I get 2-3 rewires a year from one source I drop the price dramatically, as these jobs are usually quite flexable - not a timescale set in stone.

I accept that it may not be needed, and there may be things you can do to reduce the bill, but my initial reaction to £1800 for a complete rewire is not "b*gg*r me that's steep"....

Maybe the guy wasn't a good salesman, maybe he was a chancer, maybe he was overestimating because he didn't want to do it, maybe he'd left room for negotiation....

Or maybe he's rewired 6 flats like yours in the last year and knows exactly what it's like under the skin...

baldelectrician
im a bit worried about your example including "chint"
CEF sell these which i have used quite a lot of this year, i have had no probs with them, any reason for quoting them?

Sponsored Links
Never mind how good they are - they are made by exploited children and slave labour in China - nobody with any morals better than a serial murdering paedophile should consider using them.

aren't most of our consumer products made in chineese sweatshops nowadays?

took one (chint) out the box. CEF (when I used to deal with them 3 years ago) said "we've got these new consumer units in, but you don't want to use them as they are cr*p." Had a look anyway and it confirmed my fears.

The ONLY experience of chint was when I needed a 20A RCBO, coupldn't get any at short notice, except a chint one. Put it in, tested earth loop, OK, tested trip time - no trip.
Tested trip on 5X, no trip.
Polarity etc was all ok.
Pressed test button on rcd, no trip. Pressed and held test button. Bang, and a puff of smoke.
checked the wiring (no I didn't megger the thing). still RCBO goosed.
Put a Merlin RCBO in later all was ok.

The ONLY time I have bought Chint, and the last. Don't get me wrong it looks good (copy of MK/Merlin) but that's where the similarity ends.

Rhys
I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say you want to know if your place actually needs a rewire. Why not spend a few hundred quid to gete it tested (PIR) which will give you a definitive answer. You might end up being able to spend less on the rewire then!
SB

I doubt it if anyones reading this post now, but just thought I would let you know that Ive had a 'proper' quote for £600.00.

For this I will do the first fix (which is what I wanted to do anyway), and the electrician will do the rest and give me a part P Cert.

Once he started talking decent figures for the work, I wasnt even interested in using the existing cables.

So, in all, I think I was right all along (Big pat on the back to me!!!)

Rhys

i think i can summerise with
tos.gif

a rewire for 600 quid :LOL:

come back when insurance replace your flat :LOL:

It`s difficult to guess whether you need a rewire or not from the information provided.
A look around the place could give "a reasonable guess" but only a proper periodic will tell with a decent degree of certainty and that`s still no foolproof.
Perhaps this guy was giving you the benefit of his years of experience and the esasiest (both for him & you) long term answer was to rewire, or perhaps He`s ripping you off. It`s difficult to say.
You say two bedroom flat, no other rooms then?
How many sockets, lights, are any two way switching, cooker circuit, shower circuit, immersion heater circuit, kitchen fan, bathroom fan etc etc.
The price can vary enormously, £ 2000 might be cheap whilst £ 1500 might be expensive

When people ask me how much a rewire costs these days I usually reply "about the same as a secondhand car"

I agree with BAS, the materials alone (unless you are using sh1t stuff) won't be far from £350 -£450 anyway.
Unless they come from the back of a lorry shop :D

You get what you pay for. Sounds like the guy is using existing stuff where he can and using new face plates to look good.

For that price I would get what is and is not included in writing, remembering certification /Part Poo etc.
Does this include smoke alarms, bonding ??
BTW best of luck, you'll need it. :eek:

A £600 rewire eh?

My response to reading this was a mix between BAS' (laughing out loud) and Baldy's feeling that you may well be ripped off with dodgy materials or old cables being re-used.

No Electrician worth his qualifications would let a customer first fix totally unsupervised!

Even if he checks your first fix, what legitimate Electrician can provide decent (not CHEEEEAP) materials and sufficient labour to install said materials as well as certification costs and time all for £600.00?

I'll admit I live down south where prices are slightly higher but this just sounds plain dodgy to me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back