towel rail circuit

exactly my point.
you can technically/theoretically comply with the building regs even if you don't have any qualifications.
No you can't.

Since you're struggling with the concept of notifying a gas boiler, then have a read on the requirements for an unvented hot water storage vessel.

Sponsored Links
will read up on unvented cylinders.
don't hold your breath as i lost interest in them years ago so will need to start from scratch

unlike the gsiur that mentions a lot of SHALL and MUST, g3.8 mentions SHOULD when it comes to the card held by the competent installer.
that seems to leave the door wide open for, let's say an experienced plumber who can also read, understand, and follow m.i. who installs this in his own home and then can have bco inspect his work.
sounds perfectly safe, competent and legal without a qualification to me

I've installed UV's on new builds and bc never asked for my quals.
I would have trouble giving them to him as I don't have any. Im in NI though and things here are a bit more relaxed as far as I can see from reading this forum, especially up here in south Armagh. Get away with murder up here. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Whether my brainactivity is limited or not has little to do with safety.

Most of us know that the law is full of loopholes, the average bco employee has an insight that can be bested by most goldfish, and if the existence of some 20,000 illegal gasworkers is any indication, lawenforcement is a joke, and my comments related to that.

I am, and have been for a long time, a staunch supporter of a much stricter application of safety regulations, unlike the current bunch of clowns that call themselves a government and have only succeeded in getting us into unprecedented debt and crimelevels, and are only interested in levying more taxes and more redtape that serves no other purpose than to act as framework for more of the same.

I got the above quote from approved document G, as publicised by the ODPM as it existed in those days, and downloaded this stuff from their website in April 2006
The quote came from the bottom of page 11 section 8.3

Afaik, the building regs as we call them exist of a number of so called approved documents of which the aforementioned APD G regulates the ‘unvented cylinder’.

And that ones reads very clearly:

SHOULD

Why not demonstrate your far superior intelligence by supplying the readers, including yours truly, with the exact document, chapter and paragraph that proves my quote of APD G3.8 is irrelevant and shows that under ALL circumstances, whoever fits an unvented cylinder, MUST have a certain qualification i.e. a diploma certifying the successful completion of a specific course, and no exception allowing the circumventing of the necessity of this qualification.

bengasman wrote

a staunch supporter of a much stricter application of safety regulations

Well here's hoping its stays on English soil. :rolleyes:
The hse like the government needs its wings clipping IMO!
Too many pen pushers on big salaries sapping the productive workers.

I got the above quote from approved document G, as publicised by the ODPM as it existed in those days, and downloaded this stuff from their website in April 2006
The quote came from the bottom of page 11 section 8.3
The set of "Approved" (sic.) documents is misleading in places, wrong in others, and does not represent any part the legislation. For the purpose of this discussion, it's entirely irrelevant.

Afaik, the building regs as we call them exist of a number of so called approved documents of which the aforementioned APD G regulates the ‘unvented cylinder’.
You're wrong.

The Building Regulations are the Building Regulations.

They are here.

Why not demonstrate your far superior intelligence...
Simply because I don't possess anything more than average intelligence.

This of course, leads to some interesting questions.

For instance, if so useless, misleading and wrong, what is the point of APDs?

And other than a portal, which is not particularly userfriendly for stupid people, can you tell us EXACTLY where that section is in the building regs that states you MUST be qualified, with NO exceptions like working in your own home and doing things exactly as indicated?

What you came up with is a bit like saying:
"of course that is illegal, THE law says so"
without mentioning which law, and what section.

And bearing in mind that I am apparently stupid, your average intelligence would be far superior.
Be so kind to prove it with some more detailed evidence of undisputed need for qualifications, in stead of just giving a link to the building regs.

if so useless, misleading and wrong, what is the point of APDs?
That 's the exact opposite of an interesting question.

And other than a portal, which is not particularly userfriendly for stupid people, can you tell us EXACTLY where that section is in the building regs that states you MUST be qualified, with NO exceptions like working in your own home and doing things exactly as indicated?
Are there no lengths that you would go to in order to avoid reading them for yourself?

What you came up with is a bit like saying:
"of course that is illegal, THE law says so"
without mentioning which law, and what section.
It's not at all like saying that, since I told you exactly which law, and where to find it, and you already know that it's in Part G.

Be so kind to prove it...
This is so tedious. There's nothing to prove. Just read the document that you originally referenced.

You, dear sir, are overlooking one thing.
I can be reading until I am blue in the face and the cows have long come home; if, or rather when, I can't find it your reply remains: read it yourself.
Only problem is: I do not find it because it is not there.

I think it is obvious you have stuck your foot in it and try to resolve with escapism.

As I have said repeatedly:
If you are that good, AND correct, prove it.
I could give you article, chapter, and where to find it on which page.
You have not answered a single question with facts, only a lot of pooh-pooh.
I expected better from you and will happily congratulate you if you can come up with SPECIFICS.
If you can't, I will leave at this.

I do not find it because it is not there.
Actually, it is there.

I could give you article, chapter, and where to find it on which page.
Then I don't know what you're waiting for.

I...will happily congratulate you if you can come up with SPECIFICS.
You seem to be confusing me with someone who wants or needs your congratulations.
You're wrong, so I'm quite content to leave it at that.

Back to the OP if you two have stopped bickering. :LOL: :LOL:

Installing a circuit supplying 5 towel rails from a thermal store, circuit will have its own smart pump and timer, each towel rail will have a trv and a manual bypass will be fitted after pump, will this setup comply with part L ?

Sounds good to me. I just take them straight off the primary circuit so no independant control.
Personally I don't fit trv's to towel rails as they are low out put anyway and designed for heating towels and not space heating.

Bengasman is correct. You do not not need any qualifications or registration to fit an unvented cylinder.

From the building regulations 2000 section 13:

(4) Where building work involves the provision of a hot water storage system in relation to which paragraph G3 of Schedule 1 (hot water storage) imposes a requirement, a building notice shall be accompanied by a statement which specifies -

(a) the name, make, model and type of hot water storage system to be installed;

(b) the name of the body, if any, which has approved or certified that the system is capable of performing in a way which satisfies the requirements of paragraph G3 of Schedule 1;

(c) the name of the body, if any, which has issued any current registered operative identity card to the installer or proposed installer of the system.

Pre-notification and the BCO can pass it.

The guidance section of the Approved Document G3 then says:

3.8 The unit or package should be installed by a competent person, i.e. one holding a Registered Operative identity card for the installation of unvented domestic hot water storage systems.

Note the key word is should which is not must. The i.e., means "such as", not stating this identity card holding is mandatory. If the BCO is happy with what you have installed he can sign it off.

There is nothing stating that to service a unvented cylinder a predetermined qualification or registration is required, so anyone can do it.

In other words a DIYer can fit an unvented cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back