Towels rail heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm going to install towels rail heater in my bathroom and I want to know your opinion about it.

Heater power: 300W (3amps fuse)
so, heater will be installed 70 cm from the bath and I found out that it's a safety zone.
I'm going to use un-switched fused spur (3amps) in the bathroom and then extend a wire to outside the bathroom and use switched fused spur (3amps) on the hallway wall. only chance to get it working is to connect heater to the sockets circuit.
Does it look ok or I shouldn't connect it to the sockets circiut?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the socket circuit circuit you intend to take a feed from have RCD protection?
What is the intention for towel heater, ie is it purely for warming towels or is it intended to heat the room? (as they don't throw that much heat out)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your answers.

Circuit is not rcd protected. I don't have any rad in my bathroom that's why I'm installing towel heater which will work as main radiator but I think 300W is enough for 2sqm of the bathroom.

So, I use flex outlet just beside the heater and then fcu outside the bathroom. everything will be wired using 2.5 cm sq wire.

Thanks guys

Circuit is not rcd protected.

You MUST install one. If nothing else, make that FCU an RCD one. Its important.

I don't have any rad in my bathroom that's why I'm installing towel heater which will work as main radiator but I think 300W is enough for 2sqm of the bathroom.

You are very wrong. It will warm the towels but nothing more.

So, I use flex outlet just beside the heater and then fcu outside the bathroom. everything will be wired using 2.5 cm sq wire.
That bit is fine.

ok. i will not argue about heating potential :)

but what about rcd, where can i buy 3 amp RCD spur ? or i can just simple change fuse from 13 to 3 amp ?

but what about rcd, where can i buy 3 amp RCD spur ?

Any electrical supplier.

You need to select a BS1361 fuse to meet the maker's specifications.

With respect, I am wondering if you should be attempting this risky business of bringing lethal electrical voltages into a bathroom.

but what about rcd, where can i buy 3 amp RCD spur ?

45636.jpg

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p45636

or i can just simple change fuse from 13 to 3 amp ?

Yes.

Just reducing the size of the fuse isn't sufficient!
You NEED an RCD

AND

a double pole isolator, which from my experience, an RCD/FCU doesn't necessarily include.

a double pole isolator, which from my experience, an RCD/FCU doesn't necessarily include.

Yes WHY? I'm not sure if it is double pole or not. Will have a look at the spec

BUT what's the problem:-

you would be quite happy if the circuit spurred from was protected by an RCBO in the consumer unit and they are SINGLE POLE.

EDIT

Yes Mr SNM, you are smoking out of your rear end.

Take a look at this spec for the PowerBreaker range of RCD Fused Spur units

Cast your eyes to the section marked Technical Data.

Maybe it isn't essential to have a double pole isolator, but if it where me, I'd feel better with mechanical isolation rather than depending on the little 'TEST' button, which all most RCD/FCUs come with. Particularly in a Special Zone.

or i can just simple change fuse from 13 to 3 amp ?

Yes.

Why did you say 'Yes' then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back