Toyota Hiace version

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm unsure which Hiace model to choose.

There are two rear-door models in the Hiace - one has a single tailgate hatchback-type door and the other double barn-doors.

Has anyone had either of these models? There doesn't seem to be many barn-door versions around but the majority of other makes seem to have barn doors.
I know that for getting a ladder on/off from the rear would be possible with tha barn doors open whereas the tailgate would have to be closed. I'm also concerned that regular use would put strain on the tailgate door and components.

Has anyone had both types?

Also, there are two power outputs - 120 and 90bhp I think. Is the 90bhp adequate for carrying a load of up to 1000kg?

Finally, has anyone successfully changed the centre lap-belt to a three-point shoulder belt?

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Another thought, what about the Hyundai H1. Is it as good as the Hiace with better fuel economy?

I haven't owned either of these vehicles but personally I'd go for the barn door version.
Reasons - as you say, its easier to get ladders on the roof rack if you intend to fit one.
Often when you carry long loads you can keep one of the rear doors shut - which conveniently shows your number plate :p
As for the 90 0r 120 BHP I guess it comes down to price - the 90 bhp one will happily carry 1000 kg but if you are fully loaded and on the road all day, the more powerful engine will be better.
Ask Toyota about the seat belts - I think you'll need a roof fixing for the central one.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back