Tracing original door size onto new door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut door after tracing old doors size on it. I guess line it up at the top then place central, not lined up to the left or right side of the door mark with a pencil then should I cut with circular saw ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd cut the hinge side because of the block of lock wood.Draw that on door both sides so you don't forget. Your going to be have to glue new wood strip in to replace what you cut off. Easy enough and can be bought from DIY.

I use track saw but try masking on surface to stop splintering with your saw

Plane small amounts and to give smooth surface. Saw for anything over a few mm or for adjustment

Manufacturers instructions will specify the maximum that can be removed each side but what you need to remove will likely exceed that. Cutting down on one side only (the non lock side) will expose the inner non solid framework so a new hardwood lip is required.

There is a risk you will compromise the integrity of the door construction.

Blup

I'd cut the hinge side because of the block of lock wood.Draw that on door both sides so you don't forget. Your going to be have to glue new wood strip in to replace what you cut off. Easy enough and can be bought from DIY.

I use track saw but try masking on surface to stop splintering with your saw

Plane small amounts and to give smooth surface. Saw for anything over a few mm or for adjustment

I will cut the hinge side only with circular saw after doing a climb cut to stop chipping. What do you mean glue new wood strip? Sorry dont understand this. Why would I replace what I've cut off.

By the way, ignore photo in first post. It's wrong door. Too wide for that lining I'll use it in another lining

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Manufacturers instructions will specify the maximum that can be removed each side but what you need to remove will likely exceed that. Cutting down on one side only (the non lock side) will expose the inner non solid framework so a new hardwood lip is required.

There is a risk you will compromise the integrity of the door construction.

Blup
Yeah door is wrong size on photo it's 670 space and 766 door. In the right sized lining surely I can cut the small amount off with a circular saw. I'll edit first post

Hmmm - my amateur response is: Assuming the new one is a flush door with honeycomb centre, you might be able to cut the entire wooden strip off the closing side, remove the surface sheet from it, then refit it inside the new narrower door skin. I think you'd you'd need to fix it to the wooden strip at top and bottom (screws and glue perhaps) to keep the structural integrity.

I'm wondering if repairing the old door might not be a better way to go?

If you cut the hinge side off, then what are you going to fix the hinges to?
From a structural point of view you're better off cutting off the closing side.

Hmmm - my amateur response is: Assuming the new one is a flush door with honeycomb centre, you might be able to cut the entire wooden strip off the closing side, remove the surface sheet from it, then refit it inside the new narrower door skin. I think you'd you'd need to fix it to the wooden strip at top and bottom (screws and glue perhaps) to keep the structural integrity.

I'm wondering if repairing the old door might not be a better way to go?
I bought a 766 door for 690 space in lining. I'll buy new door. But how about doing it when I have the right sized door? Circular saw on hinge side for 5mm or so?

I bought a 766 door for 690 space in lining. I'll buy new door. But how about doing it when I have the right sized door? Circular saw on hinge side for 5mm or so?
That's a whole different question, and depends how much more accurate your second attempt at door buying is...

That's a whole different question, and depends how much more accurate your second attempt at door buying is...
Let's assume successful, is it case of lining up top and lock side then marking with pencil on hinge side them taking off e.g. 5-8mm with circular saw? As previously said

Think lining isn't level but I guess should Fit if traced from original door

I'm not going to assume anything at this stage.

I'd always start taking off material on the closing side, not the hinge side - the door doesn't hang off the closing side! If I've a bit more to take off, I'd take some off both.
For 5mm or so, I"d probably just use the electric plane

I'm not going to assume anything at this stage.

I'd always start taking off material on the closing side, not the hinge side - the door doesn't hang off the closing side! If I've a bit more to take off, I'd take some off both.
For 5mm or so, I"d probably just use the electric plane

Have correct sized door this time.
I lined up top and hinge side. Tricky as it moves about. Anyway I marked what needs planing- 8mm off bottom of lock side tapering off into nothing in the middle. The top seemed same width so nothing to plane. I'll give it a go
20210118_102308.jpg
20210118_101750.jpg

Attachments

• 20210118_102308.jpg
    20210118_102308.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210118_101750.jpg
    20210118_101750.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 59

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back