Hanging internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bought some new doors to replace the old ones..

do you measure the door frame dimensions and transfer them onto the new door .....or do you place the new door on top of the old door and mark round it?

Sponsored Links
you dont use the frame measurements once youve selected the right doors

you cut the door to height allowing for the fact it needs to fit if the frame or floor slopes
you then make it fit the hinge side tight to the frame you then take 4mm of the lock side this should leave a 4mm gap all around the door
you then need to put a leading edge on the front of the the lock side as it meets the door stop 2mm more off the front edge tapering to zero at the back edge
you finnish up with a 2mm gap all round and 3 to 5mm clearence at the bottom

you can use the old doors as templates providing they are a good fit and are able to work out any discrepency in the fit
in other words if its 5mm one end and the correct 2mm clearence the other end can you tranfer this measurement onto the new door in a satisfactory manor

also if you have hollow panneled doors check you have your new doors the right way round one side is for the lock [with a lock block added]one side for the hinges this should be marked on the top maybe "L" or"H" or both

thing is , i put a level on the top of the door frame (on the lining) and its about half inch out of level!

if i put the old door over the new door and marked round it surely it would fit in the original door frame??

as i said above you can use the old door providing its a good fit
you need the new door to fit with 2mm all around
all i was saying is if the old door wasnt a great fit you should either be able to use it as a template with adjustments to make it fit better

or start afresh

the door must fit the hinge side well for you door to open properly

12mm out on the head is nothing unusual just hold the door upto the opening and lining up on the hinge side and assuming the door on the bottom is less than 7mm off the floor at any one point
just follow the head with a pencil cut off abouve the line
wedge door up to the head
then scribe to the floor cutting off 5 to 7mm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back