Tractor mower starting issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I know it's not a car but hope it's close enough... I have intermittent issues trying to start my Countax C300 H tractor. Video shows the issue... It sounds like it's about to start then the engine seems to stop turning over and I get this whirring.

I've never yet had a time I couldn't get it to start because if I repeat the process it will start after a random number of goes. Today I knocked the choke off and it suddenly worked, the other day it seemed to start as I turned the ignition back a notch.

It vaguely reminds me of something my dad worked on when I was a kid. Electrical glitch? Simply flooded the thing? Is someone going to mention solenoids?

Mower had been run several times this spring already. It's a warm day with clean fuel and it was serviced last summer. Thanks for any advice to a non mechanic!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the starter motor is faulty to me. If it was an old car I would say faulty bendix, but not sure if they still have them these days. Pretty sure it is a starter motor problem though.

jj is spot on (y)
The starter motor isn't fully engaging with the ring gear on the engine. Basically, the starter motor spins, and a small gear shoots up a shaft and engages with the large ring gear on the engine flywheel, spinning the motor until it hopefully starts.
Yours is lazy, which could be a couple of things. First, if the battery is low or old, this happens - charge it up or provide a donor battery to try again.
If the bendix gear on the starter is worn (often the case) it needs renewing. The bendix technique is quite brutal as a spinning gear engages with a still one, so you can imagine the stress!
The starter motor may be getting lazy.
You'll need to take off the flywheel cooling cowl to access the ring gear, which often benefits from a wire brushing to remove rust.....the starter and bendix gear will be visible, and all parts are available.
I'll guess your machine has either the Honda V twin or the Briggs Vanguard V twin?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back