Tradesmen Mistakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A company has made a couple of mistakes on my job that has definitely ruined £600 of worktop we supplied, and possibly ruined another £500 of flooring that we supplied (although it's possible that it could be salvaged).

Before they started this part of the work, they were sent drawings with the correct measurements that haven't been followed meaning the hob cutout is in the wrong place; and instructions on the floor finish which haven't been followed (used a whole tub of oil on one coat of 20m2 of flooring, when the whole tub should have been used for TWO coats of the entire 30m2 floor area - 24 hours later and it is still sticky and streaky).

I'm going to pick them up on this, but if their answer is anything other than 'Sorry, our mistake, we'll fix it at no cost', what recourse do I have?

Sponsored Links
withhold payment and small claims court for the damaged materials

Hopefully they are insured, and can claim on this.

If they will not co-operate, remember when taking it to court you need to include the cost of the work being re-done, as well as the materials.

Sponsored Links
Ensure that you communicate via email/text/written communication - then there's a record of the content and timeline should any debate arise about who said what to whom & when.

Act reasonably (but firmly)

If all else fails then go legal

Back