Tragic freak death Hockey player

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This poor lad only 29, what i can't get over is the footage showing the 'accident'. I am no hockey expert but it looks like the guy who did this deliberately tried to take him down, it's like for a moment he forgot he had a blade on the end of his boot, a high kick straight to the neck which killed him soon after.

Sponsored Links
Plod are investigating. There have been prosecutions for excessive injuries in sport - Mark Chapman of Rugby and District Sunday league was jailed for 6 months for a tackle that resulted in severe injuries. With contact sport, there is a general rule of Volenti non fit injuria - Latin for “to a willing person, it is not a wrong.” which means you accept the risk of injury. However, plod will be looking to see if the "kick" was reasonable within the conduct of the game. They could consider manslaughter or perhaps gross negligence manslaughter.

Of course there will also be a possible negligence claim if there were any mistakes made during his first aid. A contact sport, should probably have a trained medic, though a vascular surgeon might be an unreasonable expectation.

This poor lad only 29, what i can't get over is the footage showing the 'accident'. I am no hockey expert but it looks like the guy who did this deliberately tried to take him down, it's like for a moment he forgot he had a blade on the end of his boot, a high kick straight to the neck which killed him soon after.
I haven’t seen it but that’s exactly what our son said when he was telling us about it yesterday.

With contact sport, there is a general rule of Volenti non fit injuria - Latin for “to a willing person, it is not a wrong.” which means you accept the risk of injury.

Within the bounds of decency and fairness though.
For example, Sunday league football has always been a place where wannabe hard men have revelled in the opportunity to break someone's leg, without risking assault charges..................

Sponsored Links
Yes - you consent to the risk of injury, but this is not open ended
In fact this particular Sunday leaguer got 6 months for one such case.

I haven't seen it and, no, I won't be seeking out any footage either.
I'll leave that to those investigating.
Same here.
Saw the news when it first broke and thought, what a tragedy. Will not be looking for the footage or passing opinions on what happened.
All I do know, is that has always been classed as a very physical, dangerous sport.

it is tragic. It's known to be a rough sport, but a kick in the neck/face with a bladed shoe, is never going to end well.

Johnson's death has since prompted a number of different leagues throughout the sport to examine their player safety measures when it comes to potentially using neck protection devices.

It started when the English Ice Hockey Association announced two days after Johnson's death that it would make neck guards mandatory starting in 2024 as part of a three-step plan.

While any mandates at the NHL level would need to be agreed upon by the NHL Players' Association, there have been NHL players who started wearing neck guards at practices and in games.

Johnson's former NHL team, the Pittsburgh Penguins, said it would mandate that its AHL and ECHL affiliates wear neck protection devices. A few days later, the Western Hockey League announced that it would be making neck protection devices mandatory for its players.

Source: ESPN UK

I had assumed the injured guy went down and got slashed by accident... I saw a short clip on twitter today before I could react, and you could easily call it a 'karate kick' to the throat. I can't pass it off as an accident, and clearly, neither can the CPS.

Yes. but in the context of the sport, I’m not sure that is enough to achieve Unlawful act’ manslaughter. I think this may be closer to gross negligence manslaughter.

I’ve watched the footage a few times. It’s reckless, but I’m not convinced it was say the equivalent to a punch.

The guy who "kicked" him, turned quickly on the ice to look at what he did.

He knew what he had done.

Yes. but in the context of the sport, I’m not sure that is enough to achieve Unlawful act’ manslaughter. I think this may be closer to gross negligence manslaughter.

I’ve watched the footage a few times. It’s reckless, but I’m not convinced it was say the equivalent to a punch.
The investigation will probably review the actions of the accused over a number of hockey matches to establish whether he had a tendency to 'take out' opposing players. I am not a fan, but in the couple of games I have watched on TV, the game is very physical and body slams are a regular occurrence.

Tragic yes, freak? I don't think so.
Ice hockey is and has always been a very dangerous sport - they are total thugs out there bashing the **** out of each other.
IMO it was only a matter of time.

Let's hope that out of this that it brings about mandatory neck guards as part of the kit.

Sponsored Links
Back