Trailers: pros and cons?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the pros and cons of using trailers?
q1 what size
q2 what type
q3 what insurance issues
q4 any customising hints

Sponsored Links
The main issues apart from reduced speed limits and not being allowed in the 3rd lane are weights.

Your car/van has the weight limits in the handbook and on the plate on the vehicle. They will have GVW or GVM (gross vehicle weight or mass) this the maximum on the road weight of the vehicle with driver. Then there is GTW (gross train weight) this is the weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer.

A fictitious example is GVW/GVM 2 tonnes, GTW 3 tonnes. In this example your towing vehicle is 2 tonnes all up which gives you a towing capability of 1 tonne. If the trailer weighed say 400KG you can carry 600KG on it.

If you can be more specific and tell me the your weights I will explain more if you don't understand.

The other issue is the tachograph which comes into play over 3.5 tonnes. If you are using a LWB transit and tow a trailer you may need a tacho.

Here is a site which you may find helpful.

http://www.towsure.com/

I think it may be more specific than us.

You do need to tell the insurance but it premium hardly increases.

not to mention

cost of tow bar
cost of lights for tow bar
cost of trailer
servicing of trailer

trailers can "snake"

mate did it, he had some grief, but overall recomended it

Sponsored Links
Doesn't trailer servicing basically consist of nipple greasing and tyre pressures? My dad had a small trailer and that was all we ever did to it.

AdamW said:
Doesn't trailer servicing basically consist of nipple greasing and tyre pressures? My dad had a small trailer and that was all we ever did to it.

no, what about them things that help you stop?

mate got "another trailer" (as only he does) brakes were seized not on (if you see what i mean) loads of grief later and xyz parts all working

Good point, but are really small trailers unbraked? I don't remember it having a safety brake cable (the one that causes brakes to be applied if it breaks away from the car). Although it was a long time ago, I might just be misremembering.

I was once looking at an HGV trailer with its own independent ABS system, how long till you get those on Halfords home-assembly trailers!

breezer said:
no, what about them things that help you stop?
Do the trailer brake automatically when the car slow down as they do in caravan ? Well I think the caravan do don't they ?

The trailer brakes I have seen worked as follows:

Hydraulic master cylinder attached to towing socket. When the car brakes, a force is applied back to the master cylinder, which acts on drum brakes on the trailer wheels. Thus preventing the momentum of the trailer pushing the back end of the car round (especially on corners).

There was also a cable that is under tension, attached to the towbar on the car. If this tension is released (e.g. by the trailer coming unhitched) then the brakes apply on the trailer, thus reducing the potential for damage.

Interesting, do you know if it's the smallest light trailer have them or only certain heavy one ?

Great until it goes wrong ... one wheel braking on the trailer ..ooer !!
What I mean is this, if you keep your equipment serviced and check for correct settings / operation ... Fine, if you like to wait for something to break before giving attention then trailers without the extra built in safety of a car can be dangerous. (A friend used to manage a trailer rental business .. some of the stories ... Jeez !!)
P

Trailers are fantastic, it allows me to keep my little car...

Took this pic of a guys trailer whilst on holiday, might make one myself one day...

biketrailer.gif

Sponsored Links
Back