Trailers: pros and cons?

Just to add my two'pennorth, I have a small trailer (about 4ft by 3 ft) which is invaluable for trips to the tip, B&Q etc, particularly when you are carrying things that are too big (or unpleasant) to fit into the car.

Apart from the cost of a towbar and wiring kit (which is not too expensive if you are sufficiently confident/capable to fit yourself) the cost of 'operating' a small trailer is negligible. You just need to be sensible in ensuring the trailer remains roadworthy and fit for purpose (mine, being small and light has no brakes) with functioning lights, proper mudguards etc.

My dad built the trailer over 20 years ago and it has given excellent service ever since, with just occasional new tyres, a rewire of the lights a year or so back (cost no more than a tenner) and a bit of grease here and there. Only now, after 18 of the 20 years being stored outside, is the wood looking like it might need attention, probably due to now spending time in a nice warm garage and the wood drying out - theres a lot to be said for numerous coats of creosote.

In fact, I remember arriving home from work on my 17th birthday to find the car and trailer all hitched up bearing 'L' plates ready for a drive out to the nearby farm..... I'm sure, albeit after the event, that learner drivers are not permitted to tow.

I wouldn't want to be without a trailer - it's out of the way in the garage and acts as a mini 'skip' for all of the rubbish that won't fit in the wheely bin.

Sponsored Links
i have a 6 x 4 trailer i use for my work putting machinery in the back. very inexpensive, second hand and does the job well. It has no braking system so it relies on that of the car and not being overloaded. The main disadvantage of the trailer is getting used to it and remebering youve got it on the back while driving! Reversing is definetley an accquired skill!

For some strange reason the smaller the trailer the harder to reverse, the wider ones are much easier. Probably because you can see them easier.

AdamW said:
Doesn't trailer servicing basically consist of nipple greasing and tyre pressures? My dad had a small trailer and that was all we ever did to it.
Nipple greasing and pumping ? i could do that !!

Sponsored Links
One point worth mentioning is that household dumps often place restrictions on the size of trailer they will admit. Might be worth checking if your local tip has these restrictions in force.

Tips and Dumps Eddie? Where do you live? do you mean the Civic amenity refuse disposal site? :LOL:

david and julie said:
For some strange reason the smaller the trailer the harder to reverse, the wider ones are much easier. Probably because you can see them easier.

And they are short wheelbase and close coupled - this, in my experience, has the effect of making them very sensitive and quick to react to even small steering inputs and they 'snap' round very quickly.

I agree, the bigger the trailer the easier to reverse.

Sponsored Links
Back