Train Prices...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a discovery today. I have been buying monthly season tickets to travel to the office on the train but as I only work weekdays I don't use this season ticket at weekends or when I'm on leave etc. In england we [typically] work 227 days (thats 260 weekdays less 8 bank holidays and 25 days leave).

By buying a ticket every day that I use the train I will save £44 per year (if I'm never ill or out on business).

The question is, is it technically legal to wait for the ticket guy to come round on the train to buy a ticket? I don't actually want to travel for free as I'm more ethical than that but don't want to que for a ticket every day!

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I made a discovery today. I have been buying monthly season tickets to travel to the office on the train but as I only work weekdays I don't use this season ticket at weekends or when I'm on leave etc. In england we [typically] work 227 days (thats 260 weekdays less 8 bank holidays and 25 days leave).

By buying a ticket every day that I use the train I will save £44 per year (if I'm never ill or out on business).

The question is, is it technically legal to wait for the ticket guy to come round on the train to buy a ticket? I don't actually want to travel for free as I'm more ethical than that but don't want to que for a ticket every day!

Thoughts?

No, many companies will charge with fare jumping if there is a reasonable chance for you to buy a ticket before getting on the train.

You will get a penalty fare.
Have you looked into buying the ticket online? It is often cheaper.

Pretending to be asleep always works for me ever since childhood, when the ticket man come round just sleep as it is common practice for them not to wake you up.

Pretending to be asleep always works for me ever since childhood, when the ticket man come round just sleep as it is common practice for them not to wake you up.

think you missed the point of his question :eek:

Sponsored Links
buy your ticket at your home ticket office at the end off your journey dated for the next day

or ask the conductor when he comes to check the tickets on the way home for a return for tomorow

Back