Train services cancelled because of the hot weather!

Just on news, overheads sagged. Tension could not be kept to a safe degree.
I stand corrected.

Wotan
But if you were in the SE - you`d stand Electrocuted :mrgreen: - 600v. DC - good old 3rd. rail system. Yep people actually broke out of their sealed sauna carriages on a broken down train - and walked along next to the live rail - :eek:
600 volt DC that must be some amperage?

Wotan

The train companies are offering compensation of I think £30? for people held up, but will probably fine anyone that comes forward £200 for trespass on railway..

As I understand the third line, is 600V DC, so once you touch it, you get stuck to it and cook. at least 30Amphere?

I was fixing a Microvitec monitor one day, many younger readers may recall them from their school days, used on BBC and Arc computers? The monitor was dead, and unplugged, until the DC part of the main cap at 600V decided to discharge through my body, and the monitor actually switched on while it was discharging 600V DC through me, and unlike AC, you get stuck to the line....so stand there BUZZZZ, as you are the only way to earth.

But the Amps that the trains use..no chance, even if you wee'd a bit on the 3rd rail down South.

Sponsored Links
And there was me thinking the overhead lines were 25 kV 50 Hz AC .

:D

As you will probably realise, the 3rd line, fixed alongside the track, down south was referenced..NOT overhead lines, that was discussed initially. The topic then went onto the 3rd rail electrical supply system, which then renders your post indifferent, which means you didn't read the posts properly.

As I understand the third line, is 600V DC, so once you touch it, you get stuck to it and cook. at least 30Amphere?

Why would you get stuck to the third rail just by touching it moody?
Some kind of electromechanical attraction, or just your magnetic personality? :LOL:

Sponsored Links

As you will probably realise, the 3rd line, fixed alongside the track, down south was referenced..NOT overhead lines, that was discussed initially. The topic then went onto the 3rd rail electrical supply system, which then renders your post indifferent, which means you didn't read the posts properly.

Errrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13926651

Topic started on the above link, OVERHEAD LINES.
The drugs must be powerfull in your area.

Errrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13926651

Topic started on the above link, OVERHEAD LINES.
The drugs must be powerfull in your area.

But if you read the thread, it went into the 3rd line DC supply, but you didn't read that..? I know what the differences are, as all my Family work on the railways. The TOPIC STARTED OVERHEAD....then went to 3rd rail...get a grip.

But if you were in the SE - you`d stand Electrocuted :mrgreen: - 600v. DC - good old 3rd. rail system. Yep people actually broke out of their sealed sauna carriages on a broken down train - and walked along next to the live rail - :eek:[/quote]600 volt DC that must be some amperage?

Wotan[/quote]

[/quote]

as an ex train driver on the southern central electified routes you are talking 750v and several thousand amps within a sub station area a class 73 ed would draw 2000 amps every 4 car unit would draw 1000 amps and you may have say 20 trains on each sub station so work that one out lol
a train or locomotive will only take what the control equipment will give it
with a locomotive you have i think it was 31 notches with resistances first in series then parralell and weak feild to use the power efficiently

as an ex train driver on the southern central electified routes you are talking 750v

And remember that that is a nominal voltage, and there can be considerable variations depending upon the load, so during periods of light load the voltage can easily rise to over 800V. The old Southern Region 660V value still seems to be quoted quite regularly though, despite the fact that much if not all of the region has long since had the voltage raised.

As far as electric shock is concerned, the current which will flow is limited by the body's resistance, so it would make little difference whether the supply concerned is capable of delivering tens of thousands of amps (as is likely in reality) or if it was limited to only a few tens of amps.

So far as I'm aware, the London Underground system still runs on a nominal 630V, although that's with an earth applied via resistances to set a one-third/two-thirds split, resulting in the positive conductor rail being at about +420V and the negative rail at about -210V with respect to earth. Where track is shared with regular above-ground third-rail-only stock, the negative rail is earthed and the full supply potential applied to the positive rail to enable both types of trains to use the same traction-current supply.

Are they still using class 73's bigall? blimey, how old are they? I guess they couldn't withdraw the narrow bodied versions then? 731xx were they classed as?

Sponsored Links
Back